General discussion

Problems with LN40C550 regarding audio and brightness

i recently received a new LN40C550 to replace a faulty LCD from Samsung support.

i have the tv hooked up to my TiVo via HDMI, and also configured it to stream via DLNA. with both input sources, the TV experiences intermittent audio drop-outs where for a split-second the sound will be lost. it always instantly comes back, but it experiences these random blips where the audio is lost. this happens regardless of the source coming into the TV.

in addition, it seems that i cannot disable auto-brightness level setting. i have disable the eco-sensor and auto-brightness controls, but the tv will still automatically adjust the brightness levels.

these both seem like software problems, and so i am hoping that these are known issues that perhaps will be fixed shortly with a firmware upgrade?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problems with LN40C550 regarding audio and brightness
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problems with LN40C550 regarding audio and brightness
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
anyone from samsung able to help?

hello, i was hoping someone from samsung might be able to help me with this problem.

- Collapse -
Problems with LN40C550 regarding audio and brightness

8BitKid,

I had a post noting that I was out last week. I apologize for the belated response.

I can't explain why the sound would drop out. I would recommend resetting the TIVO box to see if that helps (although, if this erases your programs, let's hold off on that). In some cases, swapping out the HDMI cable can fix that issue.

For the auto brightness, does it change the settings back after 30 minutes? If not, can you explain how this symptom is affecting the viewing? Does it happen randomly, or with different files? For DLNA, this could vary by file and method of encoding. But if the TV is in Shop Mode, it will revert after 30 minutes to Dynamic settings, and then that would be a TV issue.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
continued audio and video issues

Hello,

thank you for the help.

unfortunately, a reset of my TiVo did not fix the audio clipping issue. i will try a different HDMI cable. however, the exact same issue happens with DLNA content as well, which is why i think it might be an issue with the TV, as opposed to the content coming in (be it from a DLNA server or from my TiVo).

with regards to the brightness, how would i know if the TV is in "Shop Mode"?

- Collapse -
problem persisting

hello, the problem is persisting, and i was wondering if you had any ideas. i replaced the hdmi cable and rebooted the TiVo, but the audio is still clipping/dropping.

- Collapse -
problem persisting

8BitKid,

I don't have any ideas. In many cases, HDCP (copy protection) causes cut outs like you described, but that would be from the source peripherals, rather than the television. However, that's not always the problem. If it's happening with other devices, then it may be something that can be traced to the TV. I can't pinpoint the problem, but if you really believe it's caused by the TV, I would recommend having it inspected - and if necessary - repaired.

DLNA can cut out if the network is slow, or if the file isn't supported with the correct audio codec.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
review of LN40C550, and ongoing problems

alright, i'll give them a call, since i doubt it is HDCP if it is happening from multiple sources.

it is quite frustrating that this is now the 2nd lemon set i have received from Samsung. the tv is an excellent set in terms of features and performance, but for others considering a purchase of this set, i'd probably recommend buying one from a local store so you can have an easy return in case this is a common problem.

- Collapse -
testing with external audio

in addition, i plugged in a set of external speakers, and the problem has gone away. while this certainly isn't a long-term solution, it does confirm that the problem is with the tv.

CNET Forums

Forum Info