HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problems with InstallShield Wizard: Error 1317

by synji / November 8, 2004 6:49 AM PST
Error 1317. An error occurred while attempting to create the directory C:\Program Files\Common Files

Because of this prolem, I can't install anything including Sun Java Virtual Machine, Office XP, Norton Anti Virus and so on. This really pisses me off.

Im using WinXP, and I log in as a computer administrator, obviously I have permission to create/delete/modify folders in the Program Files.

Some programs use InstallShield Wizard but let me chang the folder work properly such as Borland Delphi 6 (and this one, if I let it install to the default folders, it will crash again at C:\Program Files\Common Files).

???
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with InstallShield Wizard: Error 1317
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with InstallShield Wizard: Error 1317
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Problems with InstallShield Wizard: Error 1317
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 7:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Problems with InstallShield Wizard: Error 1317
by Cursorcowboy / November 8, 2004 11:38 PM PST

1. "Windows Installer (Q310598)" is not just an installation program;

? it is an extensible software management system. Windows Installer manages the installation of software, manages the additions and deletions of software components, monitors file resiliency, and maintains basic disaster recovery by using rollbacks. In addition, Windows Installer supports installing and running software from multiple sources, and can be customized by developers who want to install custom programs.

? it records errors and events in its own error log and in the "Event log" which may be of help to understand the cause of a failed installation.

Note: The article [Q328005] explains the procedures for verifying the location of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk, in the Windows Registry, and re-registering the Windows Installer.

2. "Error codes" returned by the Windows Installer functions, MsiExec.exe and InstMsi.exe (an SDK Documentation).

Note: At the left top of this page you'll find a box labeled "Search for" that may be used to search the libraries for such items as those you enter from that "Error code" column.

3. "Windows Installer Error Messages" have an error code of 1000 or greater. The error codes numbered 1000 to 1999 are ship errors and must be authored into the Error table. The error codes numbered greater than 2000 are internal errors and do not have authored strings, but these can occur if the installation package has been incorrectly authored (an SDK Documentation).

4. Be advised however as discussed in the article [Q872903], errors occurs when the SYSTEM account on the particular drive does not have correct permissions. Or, the article [Q315353] should the Windows Installer Service is unregistered or damaged

5. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Enable Windows Installer Logging in Windows XP (Q314852)."

b. "The Command-Line Options for the Microsoft Windows Installer Tool Msiexec.exe (Q314881)" which you may need to use in circumstances of packages/(product code) needing unstalled -- option /x.

Note: However, if this involves clients where Policies are in effect on a Domain, please read "An Assigned Package Is Reinstalled Every Time Clients Log on to the Domain (Q828452)."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.