Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problems with image storage

Hello fellow techies

I came to think i was pretty well rounded with pcs, how to use them, repair and technical, but i just came across something that been bugging me terribly. Im running winxp sp2, skt am2 amd64 4600x2, 1gig corsair ddr2 ram, 160gig seagate sata2 Hdd . Specs aside . . . here is my problem . . . im part of a digital arts community, where we share and edit artwork regularly. . . ok so the number of files i have stored in my main folder is quite large. ( 2200 files estimated, ranging about 400mb in size, jpeg format ) Lately i have been noticing that out of random my pictures are starting to become corrupted, sometimes it would be one or two files that are getting corrupted and other times it can be as much as 15 files. By corrupted i mean they can/cant be loaded, when they do load there is color distortion, or the image is missing sections. Basically both render the image useless. What im trying to figure out is: 1 is there a limit to how many files are staored in one folder, because if i cut the folders in half i dont have the problems as often, but that leads to storage and backup issues. 2 jpegs over time tend to loose their data integrity and become corrupt. 3 the regular defragmenting of my pc could possibly be damaging the files directly. ( pc defragmented once every 6 weeks, but then why is it only happening to image files and nothing else ) 4 i meed to stop using the thumbnail veiw in windows explorer for folders with such a large amount of files. Basically i would like to know is it something im doing or is jpeg a bad storage format for a large amount of files. My gif images and or tiff, aswell as other image formats do not have this problem its just jpegs. Also . . i have the folder in its netirety backed up on an external hard disk which is backed up weekly, but not defragmented as much, the backup is only one way too. internal hdd-->extnernal hdd Just as the files are being damaged on the internals hdds archive, they are also turning up damaged on the externals archive. At times the files are exactly the same or the files are different but it happens. If anyone has an idea or came into similar circumstances please let me know. This has set me back quite a few times while i have been working on a picture that was commissioned or needed to be returned. And its turning out to be rather troublesome now. Thank you for yer help all. n.n

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with image storage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with image storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, No, and No

In reply to: Problems with image storage

The answer to all of your questions is no.

No, the number of files in any given directory will have no impact on the rate of corruption. No, JPEG files (or any other digital image format) do not degrade over time. Finally, no, defragmenting will not cause corruption on its own, though it can help it spread.

To expand a bit on that last point... Assuming you have a bad sector or two on your HDD, which seems to be the most plausible scenario to me given what you've said, any data written to those bad sectors is likely going to be stored incorrectly. Since we're dealing with physical locations on the drive itself, and defragmenting moves files around, it's possible that defragmenting will cause parts of more files to be stored in these bad sectors and thus become corrupted.

It sounds to me like you've just got a bad HDD. It's also possible that you just have a corrupt filesystem, and formatting would fix it, but filesystem corruption tends to spread rapidly, so if your system hasn't melted down already, it points more to a bad HDD in my book.

If the drive is still under warranty, you can make a claim on it, or you could just go out and buy a new drive. It's up to you how much of a hassle you're willing to deal with.

Collapse -
And the day after the drive died they inquired what is...

And there was many questions this day about backup. To paraphrase someone...

"We only backup what we can't lose."

Hard disks make fine fast storage but are terrible backups. Given that small a collection why isn't a copy on CD or DVD?

Bob

Collapse -
Your questions have been answered quite well BUT...

I will take exception to the comment that JPEG images do not corrupt over time because while accurate it is incomplete.

The do not "corrupt" but if you keep editing them and saving them in various graphic applications they may well give the impression that they have done so because they will loose colors and the different graphic applications may even alter the actual JPEG file type (YUV 4:4:4 or YUV 4:2:2 or YUV 4:1:1 or as straight RGB values).

Complex graphics may not convert from RGB to YUV without losing quality. Data in a YUV format shares every two pixels in a Y component, and every four pixels in U and V components. This results in image details, like the text, being lost in the RGB-to-YUV conversion. Also, the program you use for the conversion may just delete pixels instead of merging them, causing the quality to be lower.

So, depending on the software YOU or your friends use the JPEG graphics may appear to corrupt but it is a result of use rather than "spontaneous".

Work on files in BMP or TIFF then save in JPG and your problems should mostly disappear.

Collapse -
Help considerations and tech results

In reply to: Your questions have been answered quite well BUT...

Im not really sure how bad paint shop pro handles the different color profiles, but i didnt notice the problem before with paint shop pro and i have been using it fer years. Normally when i work with a file i normally convert the image to a paint shop pro file . . . which can get severly huge when working with after a while. I hope the paint shop pro files dont damage the photo data during conversion . . . on top of the my hard disk was a factory refurb, and after running some low level hard disk tests . . . ( thanks to micro2000 diagnostics software ) my hard disks performance is really bad. I do have alot of damaged sectors, so i do have two negatives working against me. Also its a western digital by serial number not a seagate. As fer the dvd backup i purchased a few dvd-ram disks to hold the data from now on, i will continue to use my external fer quick backups but the dvd-ram disks will hold all my important data fer long term backups . . . . thank you all fer your help. I mean my hard disk is less than 18 months old so i wouldnt have ever suspected my hard disk to be at fault, but then again its a fact-refurb . . . . >.<

Ok all thank you for all yer insight and im off to get a new hard disk this weekend . . . . gives me an exscuse to get the 350 ive been eyeing . . . but im gonna make sure i get a seagate this time, seeing that i always have bad issues with western digital and maxtors hard disks.

Collapse -
That's a good clue. Maybe the drive is ok?

In reply to: Help considerations and tech results

In this post you note "conversion" of the original photo to paint shop's format. What you may not be doing is keeping the untouched original and I wonder if paint shop feels free to change bytes in it's native file format but read only the others.

I can't tell but this is only my opinion here. I would not be using paint shop's file format for this sort of works. I'd be using the age old standards and never altering an original.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.