General discussion

problems with ibm thinkpad, i cant cut/copy and paste

i have an
IBM thinkpad T43 windows XP pro
version 2002 SP2
intel pentium(R)
proc. 1.73Ghz
504MB ram

the problem is i cant copy/cut and paste files higher than a certain number. I can cut and paste other files, folders and in my browser, but say i want to cut 30 notepad files from one folder to another it wont work, i have to vut the files 3 at a time, why is this happening?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems with ibm thinkpad, i cant cut/copy and paste
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems with ibm thinkpad, i cant cut/copy and paste
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this

In reply to: problems with ibm thinkpad, i cant cut/copy and paste

run the following:

SFC /scannow

from start>run...and have your XP disc ready...
you might be missing some system files
You might have some spyware or a virus, so do some scans.

hope this helps

Collapse -

In reply to: try this

i did a full virus scan yesterday and removed all trojans etc but it still didnt work

crap i dont have the XP SP2 CD any more

anyway around this?

Collapse -
Trojans means "unknown damage."

In reply to: reply

It's too bad that was not in your first post. I thought about such but the trojans do untold damage. Let me write it another way. The trojans can be removed but that does not repair the damage.

The SFC /SCANNOW is a great idea but there can be registry damage which I've yet to find any one tool to help in all cases.

Your FULL VIRUS SCAN is not enough. Let's do an online spyware scan now and later a rootkit scan.

Start with -> http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Also, please share what protection failed here. Everyone wants to know which AV or other such allowed the trojan in as well as the trojan's name.

-> Ahh, the name of the trojan could be key to a fix short of a complete reinstall.

Bob

Collapse -
well.....

In reply to: reply

did you try the SFC /scannow anyway. sometimes you might not need the CD. but if it prompts you for it, you may need to borrow one from a friend. other than that, i know of no workaround. maybe some other ppls on these forums knows more about this issue

Collapse -
progress...

In reply to: well.....

AV is kaspersky antivirus and the trojans are:

detected: riskware not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.bc URL: http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/2.2.60.11/SmileyCentralPFSetup2.2.60.11.ZNfox000.exe/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe

detected: Trojan program Trojan-Downloader.VBS.Psyme.fc URL: http://www.afzr.net/azzt/apzvq.html

detected: Trojan program Trojan-Downloader.JS.Agent.fp URL: http://iwe.pqzv.info/peq/e.html

not found: virus Virus.Win32.Hidrag.a Running module: svchost.exe\svchost.exe

not found: virus Virus.Win32.Hidrag.a File: C:\Documents and Settings\BUYER\Local Settings\Application Data\Ares Ultra\My Shared Folder\___ARESTRA___rockstar.exe

deleted: Trojan program Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Zlob.bqu File: C:\Documents and Settings\BUYER\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\heuqgata.default\Cache\9ECFDB4Ed01//stream//data0006

detected: riskware not-a-virus:Downloader.Win32.WinFixer.o URL: http://download.cdn.winsoftware.com/files/installers/WinAntiSpyware2007FreeInstall.exe

also virus:
disinfected: virus Virus.Win32.Hidrag.a File: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_ISTMP4.DIR\IsUninst.Exe

and one in the registry i was able to see in the scan list:

deleted: Trojan program Trojan.Win32.Pakes.x3 File: c:\windows\regedit.exe

im not sure if thats all of it, scan list is pretty long maybe i can copy it to ms word and email it

ewido in progress...........

Collapse -
there is the problem.....maybe

In reply to: progress...

i think you may have found some of the problem. lol

Collapse -
So WinFixer and other pests still there?

In reply to: progress...

Some of the antivirus programs don't consider these a virus and don't remove them.

Bob

Collapse -
Three workarounds:

In reply to: problems with ibm thinkpad, i cant cut/copy and paste

1. Drag and drop in stead op copy/cut and paste.
2. Use the move or copy icons that you can put in the toolbar.
3. Use an alternative for Windows Explorer, like the free version of Powerdesk. It uses the same underlying routines Explorer uses, so it might fail the same way, but you don't know until you tried.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.