Windows Vista forum

General discussion

problems with home network laptop,pc & external harddrive

by nat228 / November 21, 2009 10:57 PM PST

I am running a PC with Vista Ultimate 64bit edition, a laptop with vista premium and a 1TB buffalo harddrive. The whole network was working fine, until recently when I moved the sky router that everything runs from, from one side of my living room to the other. Now I can access the external hard drive from the PC and access all files on the laptop from the PC, but the laptop cannot access the PC or the external hard drive. I have checked all user permissions and sharing options and can't for the life of me find the problem. No settings have been changed from when it was working! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems with home network laptop,pc & external harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems with home network laptop,pc & external harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No error messages or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2009 11:12 PM PST

Does if prompt for a log in?

Collapse -
by nat228 / November 21, 2009 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: No error messages or

yes it does but never used to, and we havent set it for any passwords

Collapse -
So.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2009 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: reply

It prompts for log in.

That's a sign that the machine you got the log in prompt does not have a matching account on the server.

For example, I log in as BOB on a machine. I try to connect to a share on another machine and get the login box. This mean I need to go to the other machine to create the matching BOB account there.
Bob

Collapse -
by nat228 / November 21, 2009 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: So.

apparantly the log in box isnt when I try to get onto the other pc, it comes up with a message saying "windows cannot access "BOBS-DESKTOP" Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems click diagnose"
when you click diagnose it brings up the message "BOBS-DESKTOP is not a valid host name. Check the spelling of the name, make sure the computer is turned on and connected to the network or contact your network administrator."

Collapse -
Seems easy enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2009 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: *

A lesson I learned long ago was to keep the names simple with nothing but letters and numbers to avoid such things. Redo without the dash?

And another issue is the firewalls or winsock damage due to Norton expiring or such. The biggest problem I've found for those diagnosing such is the old "it worked before" which means the person troubleshooting it will not do any changes. You have to wait for them to dig in deeper.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?