Cameras forum

General discussion

Problems with Hewlett Packard Customer NON-Service

by TNVOLSFAN / October 25, 2003 1:10 PM PDT

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had major problems with customer NON-Service from Hewlett-Packard? I purchased an HP Photosmart C500 digital camera, and it proved right away to be a

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Hewlett Packard Customer NON-Service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Hewlett Packard Customer NON-Service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Problems with Hewlett Packard Customer NON-Service
by David Chan / October 25, 2003 2:26 PM PDT

Do not use any quotes for your message or the text will not show.
There is a bug in the new Forum software.

As for your problem why not bring the digital camera back to the store you bought it from?

What problems are you having with the digital camera?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Problems with Hewlett Packard Customer NON-Service
by TNVOLSFAN / October 25, 2003 10:10 PM PDT

I purchased it online...from the start, it constantly ATE batteries...even newly charged batteries only last seven minutes until they're completely gone. Then I could not download straight from the camera to the PC...Techies checked out everything...then they decided to send me another camera...of course, it was REFURBISHED, so the SAME problems still existed. Frankly, I think that the C500 is a total lemon...that's why I'm wondering if others have had trouble with that particular model or with HP Customer Service. Then I discovered that I could buy a SanDisk to download photos...now, that won't work either. I even bought another cardreader to make SURE it wasn't at fault. I give up!! I'm on a fixed income, and I can't afford to PAY for tech support...OR buy another camera...I just feel that HP should stand behind their product line AND their customers!! I give up!!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Problems with Hewlett Packard Customer NON-Service
by TNVOLSFAN / October 25, 2003 10:13 PM PDT

Oh, and thanks for the tip about not using quotation marks..that's why most of my original message is not there...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Problems with Hewlett Packard Customer NON-Service
by David Chan / October 25, 2003 11:57 PM PDT

You did not say what OS you are using on your PC?

If Windows XP it has an auto play feature which will offer to let you view or download the images from a Card Reader onto your HD.

Also whatkind of software comes with the Camera?
Normally you have to plug the camera to your PC and it will let you install the driver. Then you have to install the software for processing the digital images so you can view & download the images from the camera.

As for the battery life what kind of battery is it using?
If AA Alakline then such will not last.
You have to use Ni=MH (Nickel-Metal-Hydride Batteries) which lasts much longer than Alakline and is more suitable for Digital Cameras.
Bear in mind that the preview function on a Digital Camera soaks up a lot of juice.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Problems with Hewlett Packard Customer NON-Service
by TNVOLSFAN / October 26, 2003 12:16 AM PDT

David, I'm using the NiMH rechargables...just as the booklet suggested. They won't lsst any longer than seven minutes...SEVEN MINUTES from full charge to gone...It's been a real drag to haul around fifty feet of extension cord for shooting outside photos...sometimes it's been literally impossible..and this is from DAY ONE! I KNOW that the LCD uses up a lot of juice, but should it use up THAT Much? I'm using the HP Photoprinting software that came with the camera...It's GREAT software, and I've been able to maneuver in that process pretty well up until now...by downloading with the cardreader, and then using the HP Photoprinting software to make edits...Now, I can't even do that! Oh, and they want me to PAY for any telephone technical assistance. Heck, if I had money to PAY for technical assistance, I'd have the money to buy a NEW (non HP) camera...I just don't! Thanks...To say the least, I am desperately disappointed in HP...wouldn't recommend it to anyone...

Collapse -
Try a new set of Ni-MH Batteries?
by David Chan / October 26, 2003 12:54 AM PDT

Just in case the ones you are using are near the end of their useful life?

If that is still not any better I suspect your Camera could have some power leak/short thus draining your batteries.
Unfortunately since you had this problem from day one you should have insisted on a replacement for another model if the first replacement didn't work.

My old Olympus C3030 lasts many hours with 4# Ni=MH 1800mAh battries.

Collapse -
Re:Try a new set of Ni-MH Batteries?
by TNVOLSFAN / October 26, 2003 3:50 AM PST

David, I've not only tried ONE replacement set of Ni-MH
batteries, I've tried three! Same thing...Yep, I think that you're right...I SHOULD have insisted on a replacement FOR the replacement...I do know that most of my friends with digital cameras have batteries with very long lives. Like I said, I feel that this C500 line
is a lemon line...and that's just what I wound up with...THANKS!!

Collapse -
Is that a 3 year old camera?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2003 12:04 AM PDT
http://www.steves-digicams.com/c500.html wrote a review years ago.

In short, why would and how could you expect HP to have ''new'' cameras to send you after this much time.

Something is missing in your story from what little I can tell.

BUT I could guess that if you found this camera for a bargain it could be OK. BUT I suspect that the supplied batteries have died and YOU get to replace them.

Tell some more. But expecting companies to support many year old product is not happening.

Bob
Collapse -
Re:Is that a 3 year old camera?
by TNVOLSFAN / October 26, 2003 12:21 AM PDT

Bob, I bought it NEW...but over three years ago...It's been giving me trouble from DAY ONE, and they know it...That's why they sent me the refurbished one within six months of my original purchase. But, it's a lemon too. I've made any number of complaints since the first, yet, they expect me to PAY for telephone tech support...I thought I PAID for THAT when I purchased the original product. It's just totally frustrating! I paid a decent price when new...and it has made some good, although very inconvenient, photos...It's just that it continues to drive me nuts and so do they with their NO-CARE attitude. If I could PAY for technical support, then I could afford to replace this camera, but on a fixed income, that's out of the question. I just think others should know of the trouble I've had and BEWARE!

Collapse -
The old out of warranty problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2003 7:58 AM PST

Your complaint is much easier to understand now. There was a warranty and that was years ago. Time's up and today you can't get free support. This will drive some insane or complain (which they should.)

Have you resorted to a letter writing campaign?

If you have not received a working camera since day one, maybe the written word is next.

Bob

Collapse -
Hewlett Packard
by doree425 / April 6, 2008 11:33 PM PDT

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY

Last year I purchased a Pavillion 7200 Notebook. Not a top of the line but over $1,000. At it's one year birthday it started crashing. It took two weeks to convince their Non Service hotline that it was the computer and not the softward as they tried to blame. After it totally died they accepted the computer for service. Now it is at their center for ONE MONTH. I keep getting the runaround. The ship date changes weekly due to a parts shortage. If there is a motherboard shortage for a one year old computer get it off the market and replace it. They refuse to tell me anything but this is not a business computer (HOW DO THEY KNOW) but a personal usage so basically they can take as long as they like. In simple terms the consumer is f--ked! I have to suffer and pay for DSL service I am not using and my work is slowed down. How does this company get away with it?

Any ideas - I so want to stick it to them! Wrote to the chairman who assigned me a totally useless casemanager.

doree

Collapse -
HP Pavillion A6422 Desk Top PC
by tonyvarin13 / June 10, 2008 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Hewlett Packard

I recently purchased the above from John Lewis. The PC is fine, a big advance on my 6 year old XP celeron PC.

However, last week I endevoured to buy the extra optical drive to fit in the expansion tray below the existing one. My contacts with HP in order to either buy the drive or get the correct part details, plus advice on what and where to buy it were almost totally frustrated. They were unhelpfull, unknowdgeable and just referred me from one extension to another, to no avail.

Eventually somebody gave me the correct part number and referred me to their recognised supplier. This was the wrong firm who fortunately kindly transferred me to the correct one. The drive arrived promptly but when I fitted it (quite easily) I found that the internal loom did not have the neccessary SATA plug as promised by John Lewis.

I contacted HP once more for advice on purchasing the correct lead. Once again they were totally useless. They did the same old trick of passing me from one dept. to another. Customer care eventually passed me to the correct technical dept. But could I speak to a technician ? Oh no ! I was now in the hands of a 'Go-For' who spoke little English and who kept relaying messages to the technical dept. which of course were corrupted and mangled on the way and so I got nowhere. The Go-For eventually passed me on to the next person who would hopefully advise me. Once I re-stated my request for about the seventh or eighth time, that 'technician' promptly rung off.

I don't in any way blame John Lewis who made it plain from the outset that they do not offer any sort of pre or after sales upgrade and that the PC must be purchased as offered in the store. But they were confident that I would have no diffculty in obtaining and fitting a suitable optical drive.

I have written to Stephen Gill the MD of Hewlett Packard UK and sent a copy to John Lewis. I am now sitting back and awaiting events.

Collapse -
good luck with HP on any problem.
by mopscare42 / June 10, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

I have been dealing with HP for the past 15 years.
The first 10 they were excellent and easy to deal with and get service from.
The last 5 is a different story.
It appears that they have gotten so big that after the sale and they have their money, it's a cloud of dust and a hardy hi ho silver.
Their tech support is a joke, unless you are lucky enough to get someone in the US or Canada as most of them are very knowlegeable and you can understand what they are saying. They also seem to care about your problem, unlike the people accross the pond.
I have had a problem with my HP printer and the duel sided printing attachement for 16 months. It will not print two sided except flip up rather than like opening a book.I have called them many times, even e-mailed Mark Hurd the CEO and still nothing.
This has been a known issue and at first I thought it was just my printer, that is not the case. A friend bought a new HP computer, printer and the two sided printing attachment and he too has that problem.
He called HP and was given the same run around that you and I have been given.
Finally he got a case manager in Canada and was told that there are no immediate plans to fix this 16 month old problem. That means HP is selling new units with a known defect and no plans to correct it.
He was smart and took everything back, got a different brand computer and printer with duel sided printing attachment included and everything worked out of the box.
This is just one example as I am sure there are a hundred more just like it.
I will be buying a new desktop, new laptop and a printer in the next 6 months and you can be sure none of them will be HP

Collapse -
Pavillion PC A6422
by tonyvarin13 / June 10, 2008 8:33 AM PDT

Thanks for update on your experience. I thought maybe it was just me and the way I handled it. Unfortunately your reply is not encouraging and I now have that 'sinking feeling'. I was about to replace my printer which doesn't work well on Vista and I was considering an HP. That is now definately OUT. I shall buy a Canon whom I have found to be very efficient with techl. problems on the phone.

I have an HP lap top which seems OK. Most of their gear appears to be well made. I realy can't fault the way the A6422 is assembled. All the cables inside are neatly held with cable tidys which is a good sign. Once it is out of guarentee I will call on my local IT service guy if anything crops up and wont have to worry about HP's crap service.

John Lewis from whom I purchsed it is a first class store and I am confident that they would use their considerable muscle if I were to encounter any real difficulty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.