TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Problems with HDMI audio

by chatnoir73 / April 4, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

Hello:
We have a Sony Bravia that we purchase Nov 2007. Our problem is that when we use the HDMI cable (hooked up to our digital Motorolla box) the audio is lousy -- it will drop out for a few seconds at a time, and the volume is greatly inconsistent among the channels. I would say the audio drop-out happens about once or twice in an hour. If we use just the regular RCA cables instead, there are no audio problems. What is the source of our problem and what is the best way to fix it? Many thanks for advice/tips!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with HDMI audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with HDMI audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI
by jasondtx / April 4, 2008 4:35 AM PDT

It could be a sync issue. HDMI sends audio and video and also communications between devices. Every 2 seconds there is a HDCP signal sent from source to display and sometimes the source doesn't always send it correctly. I ran into a problem with sony tv's awhile back with HDMI. Got snow on the screen from the dvd (HDMI) input when you would switch to it, but if you would switch to different tv input and then back to dvd it would work fine. Try and have a local dealer help you out, could be a number of different issues.

Collapse -
it appears you already solved your problem
by jostenmeat / April 4, 2008 5:19 AM PDT

just use the RCAs then. Or if your tv has an optical input, you can use that as well. At least you'll get a bit of surround (tv broadcasts have very, very, very little surround info IMO).

there's an outside chance that your Motorola is on its last legs. I have a friend that's on his 3rd or 4th from the cable company over several years.

Collapse -
Problems with HDMI audio - some solutions for you maybe?
by roulettekid / April 7, 2008 11:02 PM PDT

Hi,

these might be a few answers to your issue.

1- You may have a faulty connection with your Motorola box where the connection is made with HDMi cable. Try using the box with another TV in the house to see whether its your Box or TV connection.
2- What type of HDMI cable do you own? It might be the fault of the HDMI cable as some are made very cheaply and the actual cable wiring is loose hence the drop out of audio signal. Solution would be to invest in a high quality one. I use Monster Cables as I have never had any issues with them, even though they are expensive.
3 - i would not recommend using RCA as you are not getting the most out of your TV. Sony Bravia is fantastic product and you are only using the tip of the iceberg if you are going to use RCA with it. i would recommend that you try steps 1 & 2 first. Then if you still have issues it might actually be the Bravia's HDMI connection at the back of the TV (so call Sony as last resort)

Good Luck

Collapse -
there's nothing wrong with RCA
by jostenmeat / April 8, 2008 5:16 AM PDT

the tv is not going to supply you 7.1 lossless audio. they are only 2-ch in nature. RCAs give you that. Or is there something I'm missing?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!