General discussion

Problems with Graphics Card

I recently put in a Abit Radeon R9250R (See system below). I uninstalled the drivers for the on-board AGP on the motherboard and installed the software from the cd that came with the card.
Once I was up and running everything appeared fine, but then the computer would freeze, the mouse pointer would turn green, then the screen would go blank (black) for about 5 seconds then go back to where it had been and worked OK. Sometimes when the screen went blank the comuter would re-boot. Games would play OK (apart from the freezing).

I uninstalled the drivers and downloaded and installed the latest drivers from ATI. The same thing is happening, but not so often.
But when I try to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein, as soon as the opening page comes up, it freezes and the sound cycles about every second. I have to crash the computer. When I try to play Medal of Honor (which is what I got the AGP card for) It starts loading up OK but just as it completes loading it goes blank and then immediately back to the desktop.
Any help would be much appreciated
Nano

Gigabyte GA-7VM400M(F)
AMD Athlon XP2200+
512MB DDR-SDRAM
40 GB Seagate Barracuda
300/250 ATX PSU
Abit Radeon 9250R 128mb DDR 64 Bits
Acer 17" AC901 monitor set to 85 Hz refresh rate

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Problems with Graphics Card
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problems with Graphics Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I see a power shortage.
- Collapse -
Problems with Graphics Card

nanotasi: I believe R. Proffitt is right. Adding the new video card & additional RAM, is taxing the power supply.
I'd recommend a minimum of 400 watt psu. You can't have too much power, only too little.
Best of Luck

- Collapse -
Problems with graphics card

Thanks guys. I will look at increasing to 400 Watts

Bill

CNET Forums

Forum Info