General discussion

Problems with Firefox...

I'm running Firefox 3.5.9 on Windows 7. When I visit sites, some of the headings are broken, unreadable and looks like HTML characters (the kind when you press ALT + 155 or whatever). I've looked at the languages option and everything seems to be okay. It works when I uncheck allow website to use it's own font.

Can anyone help me with this? Much appreciated...thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Problems with Firefox...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problems with Firefox...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Six things to do.

1. Tell us the link to such a page, and clearly tell what strange it is you see on the page.
2. Tell us how this same page shows in IE (what version) with different settings.
3. Tell us the same for Google Chrome.

Alt-155 (or alt-024Cool is just a standard scandinavian character (an O with a slash through it). There's nothing special about it and it certainly isn't an html-character (in fact, there are no such things as html-characters).
So:
4. 5. 6. Tell us how the name of the town on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bod%C3%B8 looks for these same settings in these same browsers (don't you love Unicode?).

I don't think this is a Firefox problem. So it's up to you to prove that it is, by showing Firefox behaves differently from IE and Chrome.

Kees

- Collapse -
Finished the 6 questions
- Collapse -
I can't see anything strange on that page ...

(using Firefox 3.6.3). Where's that "allow website to use its own font" setting?

Kees

- Collapse -
I just changed that setting in Firefox

and didn't see anything strange, except the fonts changed to those I had set up in Firefox.

Firefox > Tools > Options, then Content tab, then for "Fonts & Colors" then Advanced tab. Remove the tick for "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above".

From that, what I would guess is that your own selected fonts in Firefox are unusual, and so the HTML displays them strangely.

This is what I have;

Before clicking that Advanced button, Default font = Times New Roman, size 16

After clicking that Advanced button;

Fonts for; Western.
Proportional = Serif size 16
Serif = Times New Roman
Sans Serif = Arial
Monospace = Courier New size 13

Default Character encoding = Western (ISO-8859-1)

What are your chosen settings?

I always let the web site choose fonts and other settings, to avoid this sort of problem.

Mark

- Collapse -
It's all default...
- Collapse -
Here's the link
- Collapse -
(NT) Maybe a corrupt font on your machine?
- Collapse -
Yep, I think I agree.

I have just revisited the original site given, http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/magento-for-designers-part-3/ , and Viewed Source of the whole page, but couldn't find any unusual fonts for the header, viz, "Magento for Designers: Part 3", but since style sheets are being used, it is difficult to say.

I was hoping to find which font they had used for that page header to see if there was a clue.

I couldn't check the page source for the web site which was shown in the Flickr image because no URL has been given.

However, it does make me wonder, changing Firefox to not use the web sites' own fonts, if one of the fonts installed on the computer itself is corrupted. I have heard of that happening from time to time.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info