Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

problems with Firefox 1.0.7/windows xp/broadband/hp

by gwingee / November 16, 2005 10:38 AM PST

I had gone away for a few days..came back and when I am on Firefox..I have been getting lots of blank pages. I go to QVC ..click on the forum and blank page..go to E online
click on watch with kristin..get her page..click on the chat transcripts...blank page
sometimes here I click on a discussion and get a blank page
how do I resolve this? If I uninstall..how do I do that and get rid of all of it and then how do I re install?? Anyone else having this happen? Also, in Yahoo mail..now I can not copy and paste into the email body. I had no problem before I went away. Something strage has happened..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems with Firefox 1.0.7/windows xp/broadband/hp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems with Firefox 1.0.7/windows xp/broadband/hp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ggwingee, First...Does It Also Happen???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 16, 2005 12:02 PM PST

...if you use Internet Explorer? Let's make sure it's Firefox only and not a universal internet problem..

Have you scanned your entire computer with your onboard antivirus program AND a number of antispyware programs to be sure it's not spyware related? If you haven't, please do at this time..

If you're SURE that it's only Firefox....

To uninstall Firefox, make sure you have the installer file first so you can reinstall it. Then, simply open the Control Panel, double click on the "Add/Remove Programs" icon, then click on the listing for "Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7)", then click on the "Remove" button and follow the prompts.

After the program is uninstalled, then reinstall from the installer file you have.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
GRIF
by gwingee / November 16, 2005 12:22 PM PST

I have opened IE to check and am positive is it Firefox...I dont know about a install file..how do I get that so I can reinstall Firefox? I love the tabs on Firefox and dont want to give it up..or should I? Is there another browser I should use instead? I did do all the spyware checks..nothing...so it is Firefox that is having the glitches.

Collapse -
Gwingee, Download Firefox From...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 16, 2005 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: GRIF

...the link below. (By the way, if you originally installed Firefox from a downloaded installer file, you should still have it somewhere, UNLESS you deleted it.) Once you have the installer file downloaded, then you can uninstall Firefox and reinstall per the previous instructions.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif
by gwingee / November 16, 2005 12:37 PM PST

There is something in my recycle bin that sets Firefox setup 1.0.7...is that soemthing I need? If I uninstall Mozilla..is that the installer you are speaking of? I am a real newbie here..so your help is appreciated. If I uninstall..will I lose all my bookmarks??

Collapse -
I suspect that (in recycle bin ) is the set up folder for FF
by tobeach / November 16, 2005 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Grif

You mention Mozilla. I'm confused: Are you running the Mozilla suite as well as Firefox (also from Mozilla)?
My expierence with re & re Mozilla is that after doing the un-install a box pops up saying that "Not all files were removed, do you wish to remove these also". If yu say no the the un-inst., it leaves behind the folder that contains your
profile including bookmarks and preferred settings (as set at time of removal).
A 2nd thing I've successfully done is to go into Moz/FF Bookmarks>bookmark Mgr.>tools and use "Export" option there to send a coy of all bookmarks to the "My Documents" folder. Then , if you, want you can do a complete un-install and after new install go to new bkmgr and use "import" button to bring the bkmks back in from my docs. They will auto load in new install. The export& import function will allow you to choose ( by browsing) where to send an where to bring back from.
In my case, I have in excess of 300 bkmks there and loosing those would take years to re-aquire (if I could find the pages again at all. Why not do an export just for safe keeping anyway? You can delete later if you choose to leave the profile folder during un-install.
Either way, as posted, I would download a new full copy of FF into Desktop (or I prefer "My Docs"(larger space?) and the you can install from there by double clicking the installer. That way you always have a "new" backup copy on hand so next time you can re-install without having to do time consuming download again (unless there is a new UPDATED version). If new version, do same as above and after install works well, you can delete older backup copy to regain space. Also check on Moz/FF page if they have link to an updated Sun Java version for thethe new FF version.
Hope this helps calm you concerns. One other thought: Unload your AV (disable) before doing the install and re-activate after install complete to prevent possible corruption of install. 'Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Gwingee, Just Follow The Instructions I Gave...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2005 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Grif

You're making it harder than it needs to be..Although the Firefox Setup 1.0.7 in the Recycle Bin could be the installer file, at this point, ignore it. (Yes, if you want, you can restore the file to your desktop where it might, or might not run correctly, but I would still download a new copy first.)

Download the Firefox installer file from the link I provided earlier and place the installer file on your desktop..(the file name is "Firefox Setup 1.0.7.exe") Once that's done, then open the Control Panel, double click on the "Add or Remove Programs" icon, scroll to the "Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7" listing, highlight it by clicking once on the listing, then click on the "Change/Remove" button. Follow the prompts to uninstall..Once the uninstall is complete, then reinstall by double clicking on the "Firefox Setup 1.0.7.exe" file.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ok ...did it..now
by gwingee / November 17, 2005 9:32 AM PST

when I went there..I see they have a new 1.5...has anyone tried that yet???

Collapse -
Gwingee, Firefox 1.5 Is At The 'Release Candidate' Stage...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2005 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Ok ...did it..now

..which is NOT the final release..For beginners, I would suggest staying away till the final release is made...A "Release Candidate" although further along than BETA, still is ready for prime time..It's your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
GRIF
by gwingee / November 17, 2005 9:48 PM PST

Thanks...I will stay away from that.
I still am not able to get the paste option or cut and copy for that matter now when I am in my compose email at yahoo. I got it before...now even with the reinstall it is missing...what can i do???

Collapse -
Gwingee, .Cut And Paste Doesn't Work With The Mouse..But.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 18, 2005 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: GRIF

...try using the keyboard shortcut keys..After highlighting a sentence, RIGHT click, choose "Copy", then click on the the body of the message so the cursor starts flashing, then press "Ctrl + V" at the same time and the text will be placed where you want it.

You're issue is the same on this computer. It must be a Firefox issue...Internet Explorer does it just fine with the mouse. Not Firefox....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you Grif
by gwingee / November 18, 2005 4:14 AM PST

the ctrl V option worked...thank you sooo much

Collapse -
Firefox 1.5 Beta...
by Larry38 / November 18, 2005 3:23 AM PST

Grif,
I am useing the 1.5 Beta and it works very well on my PC. Seems to work better than the 1.0.7 version. The only thing I don't like, is 1.5 doesn't have the Color and Graphics extension. I like that extension because it allows me to use the compose toolbar in Yahoo without going to IE. Maybe it will be included when the Beta becomes Final.
Larry

Collapse -
Larry, Thanks For The Info..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 19, 2005 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox 1.5 Beta...

At this point, I've stuck to FF 1.0.7 simply because it's working well here..I've tried some of their other BETAs but got lazy this time..

Keep up the good work.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, Just noticed your reply...Anyway
by Larry38 / November 20, 2005 11:17 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Larry
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 20, 2005 11:31 AM PST
Collapse -
firefox1.5
by ddbpack / December 15, 2005 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: Ok ...did it..now

i downloaded the 1.5 firefox last week. its running perfect!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?