General discussion

Problems With Ewido Online Scanner on 3 Different Computers.

Hello,

In August of 2008, I installed Ewido on my desktop which was running Windows XP Pro with service Pack 3, and it has run consistently without any problems.

In the last month, I installed and used Ewido on my laptop running Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 2 and had no problems.

Also about a month ago, I installed it on my mom's computer which is running Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 3.

The scanner has run and updated on all 3 computers without so much as a glitch until recently.

In the past few days, all 3 computers keep showing "Error" when the scan page is loaded.

I did try uninstalling and re-installing it on my desktop but got the same "Error" message.

Is anyone else having the same problem, or does anyone know if Ewido is having problems with their website right now?

There's nothing on their web page which says it is under maintenance or being revamped and all my other scanning programs are running normally.

Thanks so much everyone!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problems With Ewido Online Scanner on 3 Different Computers.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problems With Ewido Online Scanner on 3 Different Computers.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Problems With Ewido Online Scanner
- Collapse -
Are You on Dial Up?

Hello,

Thanks so much for the link to the free online scanners page.

I am curious though...Are you on dial up?

Being I am on dial up, I am starting to wonder if some of these online scanners are beginning to cater exclusively to people with high speed internet access because I've started having problems now with Trend Micros online scanner. The connection keeps timing out, and after checking my laptop and my mom's computer, Trend Micros scanner no longer works on any of them anymore. In all cases, the connection keeps timing out, so it would be great to know if you like me are on dial up or having the same problem even with high speed internet access.

- Collapse -
No, I am NOT on Dial Up...

I have high speed internet. I am NOT having problems with the scanners as I am trying on a different computer.

Give STINGER a try - you have to download it :

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

I also would suggest:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.33) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

* If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
* Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

On the Scanner tab:

* Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
* Then click on the Scan button.
* If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

* Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

Notes: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes. Click this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):

Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".

- Collapse -
had the same problem

when my pc started having similar problems i did what most of us do; running different diagnostic tests, installing different software, including some packs that claim to clean up your pc mess. but nothing came out of it and i thought my pc was irretrievably broken after applying so many techniques. and to cap it all, i lost very crucial data. thats when i decided to seek help from the experts. i was directed to folium digital who not only did revive my computer but they introduced me to quite savvy back up techniques that included how to totally disable unauthorized access. good thing with such enterprises like folium digital is that they are flexible and they will visit your home and diagnose the problem. by the way folium digital is in southern California, but they have several affiliates across the country. maybe you can try them for a change.

CNET Forums