Desktops forum

General discussion

Problems with desktop

by Shuji Onizuka / November 27, 2004 3:02 PM PST

My computer boots to the point where i get to the bios setup screen and it does this every time. no matter what i do i cant exit it without it giving me this message. (the system must be turned off and the jumper moved back for settings to take effect. it is now safe to turn off your computer. if anyone has any advice please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problems with your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: Problems with desktop

Given only what you've written, all I can offer is.

1. Tell more. There is not enough information in your post to guess what could be wrong. Also, you didn't tell if installing an OS is a good answer. As it stands, the machine needs to be repaired.

2. And tell a story. Such as "My Iccky Vcc Lava Athlon 2000XP computer was running Windows 3.11 fine until I added more RAM. Then the diskettes would not boot and a capacitor is glowing red." Stories with details help the forum determine some course of action.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Problems with your post.
by Shuji Onizuka / November 28, 2004 4:55 AM PST

My NEC Intel Celeron was turned on after I had shut it off for the night. I didn't install anything, harrdware software or otherwise and when I turned it on it came up to the bios utility screen. I tried to install an OS on it but it comes up before anything can load. There is nothing before it no error message or anything. what should I do?

Collapse -
Try a very simple DOS disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2004 6:43 AM PST

1. Can you get into the BIOS setup?

2. If so, set it to boot from the diskette and can you boot a DOS disk?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Try a very simple DOS disk.
by Shuji Onizuka / November 28, 2004 12:43 PM PST

Can't boot it from the DOS disk. I think it died I turn on the power and it just makes error beeping sounds over and over again. I think it's fried.

Collapse -
Beeping.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2004 7:48 PM PST

That means something has failed. If you want to repair it, then you have to have spare parts and think of a plan.

For me it's a strip down to just PSU, CPU, motherboard, one stick of RAM (or pairs if the machine needs it) and a video card. Then I change one of these remaining parts until I find it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Beeping.
by Shuji Onizuka / November 29, 2004 1:50 PM PST
In reply to: Beeping.

I fixed it. the jumper was not in the right place. but now i get this error that says there is something wrond with my flopy drive. the only thing i find wrong with it is that it doesn't boot an ms-dos startup disk and its recongnized as the B:\ drive when it was originally the A:\ drive.

Collapse -
Re: Beeping.
by Tinkerman / November 29, 2004 7:13 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Beeping.

Hi Shuji,in your BIOS try setting your floppy drive the first boot device.
Regards Eric.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.