HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Problems with Cox cable box and Samsung LN46C670

by xyzzyplugh / June 22, 2010 11:47 PM PDT

Hi,

I have a new LN46C670 TV and I have been having trouble with the HDMI connection from the Cox cable box. In fact, I'm on my 4th cable box -- all of the others have various problems, ranging from pixelated video (on one of the 2 tuners only), dropping audio, etc.

On this box, the component connection works fine. This indicates to me that the problem is not the wiring in my house.

However, when I switch to HDMI, the video shows only briefly and then disappears. If I turn the TV off and on again, the same thing happens. Video shows, and then disappears. There does not appear to be any sound when this happens either.

Curiously, the video seems to be 480p. Of course, I'd like 1080i.

So, even though the video shows for only a few short seconds, I can turn the TV off and on enough to re-program the cable box to send out 1080i instead. That is, I turn the TV, hit one button the remote to get the settings menu; TV goes blank. I turn the TV off/on and video shows again, and I do the next step to find the video settings, etc. Not fun.

Anyway, setting the cable box to 1080i does not seem to help.

Again, the component video works ok. HDMI does not.

I hooked up a BluRay player and this seems to work fine (video and audio) via HDMI.

Any advice?

The Cox people are suspicious. They said I needed a tech to come out ($$$) before they'd give me another box. So, I have that scheduled for Saturday. Ugh.

I'd like to use HDMI for this...

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Cox cable box and Samsung LN46C670
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Cox cable box and Samsung LN46C670
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
addendum
by xyzzyplugh / June 22, 2010 11:48 PM PDT

It does seem like all signs point to this particular cable box. But, what is weird is that I get video briefly and then it disappears.

Collapse -
Problems with Cox cable box and Samsung LN46C670
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 23, 2010 10:36 AM PDT

xyzzyplugh,

Based on what you wrote, there are two possible scenarios.

1. The cable box should be able to lock in a HD setting, such as 720p, 1080i or one of the HD resolutions, and 480 is not a preferred resolution. If the box changes back, then your issue likely lies there. The output resolution in the menu of the cable box might be changed using the component only, then power down the cable box, remove component and attach HDMI, and then power up to see if that does the trick.

2. The HDCP - copy protection - in the box isn't allowing video to pass through, which is what happens when the box doesn't detect a HDCP compliant device with HDMI. If you're able to get sound, but not video, then this also points to the box.

I don't think there's a problem with your line, but the box would definitely be suspect if I had to make a guess.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.