HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Problems with Cablecard Install

by jimsmail24 / January 22, 2005 10:37 AM PST

I recently bought a new Toshiba 46 DLP with and HD tuner. I was told by Comcast that I had to get Digital to get HDTV signals and had them come out to install the cablecard. WHen they did I lost the ability to change channels on my TV with the cable card in. They installed another one and same thing. I am being forced to get a box now to get HDTV which really ticks me off. I do not need another remote!!!
Has anyone had a similar problem and know what might be happening with the channel changing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Cablecard Install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Cablecard Install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mikeys / February 15, 2005 4:17 AM PST

I have a Toshiba 46HM94. I have the exact same problem. Many visits from Comcast, using Moptorola C/C. Toshiba Consumer Relations (1-800-631-3811) say they are researching the issue and acknowledge a problem. Call them please. I wonder if any Toshiba TV works with the Motorola card??

Collapse -
TV Problem corrected
by jimsmail24 / June 11, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

I received what Toshiba calls a firmware upgrade H9 and installed it with no problems. I installed the cablecard that I had from Comcast and Eureka!(sorry), everything works!!! TV changes channels with no problems now and HDTV channels appear to be coming in fine! Took a while but I am glad I did not give up and put in a flipping cable box!

Collapse -
46HM94 Cable Card and fan
by Stank / February 16, 2005 5:02 AM PST

The Cable Card doesn't work on my TV either. You have to call Toshiba and they will guide you through a lengthy process to get it to work. They will not send or email out these instructions. You will have to be with your TV when calling.

By the way, I think one of the fan on the TV is turning 24 hours a day. The manual indicated power consumpion is 45watt on standby. That's a lot of power for standby; something must be running constantly. Has anyone heard the fan/noise, or I got a defected TV?? I have "Instant power on" turned off.

Collapse -
Still Waitingon Cablecard that works with toshiba
by jimsmail24 / February 21, 2005 9:30 AM PST

I have called Toshiba and talked through this with them on the phone and it still doesn't work. They said they are working on it and will get back to me but that was 2 weeks ago.

Collapse -
by awesmdiver / February 22, 2005 2:46 PM PST

I've had the same problem with Toshiba / Motorola / Comcast since November. I purchased a 51HX94 and have been unable to get the 5 cable cards to work.

Have had case open with Toshiba since then. Might call them to see if any new status based on this thread.

Collapse -
Me too!!!!
by chris a--2008 / March 22, 2005 9:14 PM PST

3 visits from Comcast, 8 hours in my house and five CableCards later...nothing. I've talked to Toshiba, They say it's a compatability problem with Comcasts' Motorola cards and that they are working aggessivly on the problem. Apparently some sets work with the cards and some don't. I am going to wait and see (a reasonable amount of time)if they can find a solution before I demand a refund. I sucks because I thought I did a pretty good job at reseaching before I purchased. I like the TV. I even built a custom stand just to fit this set...Oh well....

Collapse -
Toshiba responded
by awesmdiver / March 22, 2005 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: Me too!!!!

Well Toshiba finally sent me a firmware upgrade for my 51HX94. I have installed it, but the cable card that was in the TV does not work. I have called Comcast to come out and I'm waiting for them now.

More later.

Collapse -
I forgot to mention...
by chris a--2008 / March 23, 2005 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: Toshiba responded

Toshiba sent me the software update before the last attempted card installation(the 3-card attempt)...nothing!

Collapse -
Great!
by awesmdiver / March 23, 2005 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: I forgot to mention...

I'm still waiting for Comcast to come back out, but why do I think I'm back to square one. Guess we'll see.

Collapse -
Problem fixed
by jimsmail24 / June 11, 2005 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Great!

I received what Toshiba calls a firmware upgrade H9 and installed it with no problems. I installed the cablecard that I had from Comcast and Eureka!(sorry), everything works!!! TV changes channels with no problems now and HDTV channels appear to be coming in fine! Took a while but I am glad I did not give up and put in a flipping cable box!

Collapse -
Firmware Upgrade, but no effect
by jimsmail24 / April 8, 2005 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba responded

Toshiba sent me an upgrade, but after install I had a new card installed and it had no effect. I still can't change channels after install. I am on Toshiba's list to figure this out and notify me....it seems like there are so many of us waiting they should be agressively working it. I refuse to get a cable box unless they make me wait another 6 months.

Collapse -
Similar problem
by korandla / April 10, 2005 1:02 PM PDT

I got a 52HM94 and I have similar problem. In my case, the digital (&HD) channels work fine if I unplug and re-plug in the TV power cable. When I called Tosiba, they said 'Memory Upgrade' is required. I am eagerly waiting for this to work completely.

I am not sure whether this memory upgrade is same as yours. Could you provide more details on the firmware upgrade?

Collapse -
Problem Fixed
by jimsmail24 / June 11, 2005 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar problem

Collapse -
Problem Corrected
by jimsmail24 / June 11, 2005 3:01 AM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.