Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problems with booting windows after linux install

by Mav_Destroyer / March 5, 2010 5:35 AM PST

Hey,

I just installed Ubuntu Linux on my computer which already had Windows XP installed.
I'm kind of new to this so I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere. The thing is I have two hard drives. one which had Windows already installed on it and a new hard drive I installed in my PC and had the ubuntu OS setup on it.

I disconnected my Windows drive while I was installing Ubuntu on Drive #2 (i think this is what i did wrong) since I was having a hard time getting the computer to detect it.

Now even though both hard drives are properly connected and detectable from the BIOS, the computer only boots to Ubuntu. Is there a way I can fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with booting windows after linux install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with booting windows after linux install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the XP drive was disconnected during the
by lacsr / March 5, 2010 7:45 PM PST
Collapse -
RE: If the XP drive was disconnected during the
by Mav_Destroyer / March 7, 2010 3:58 AM PST

both links just don't apply to my case as each OS is already installed (not in the process of installing linux) and both are installed on a separate HDD.

when i disconnect the linux HDD the computer boots to windows normally but when i reconnect it the computer automatically boots to linux and doesn't give me the option to boot to any other OS. changing the boot priority of the HDDs in the BIOS menu doesn't do anything, it still boots to linux anyway. now i have no idea what to do really.

Collapse -
Grub boot manager
by Ray_moe / March 7, 2010 10:14 AM PST

Did you install grub boot manager in the Ubuntu install ??

Collapse -
RE: Grub boot manager
by Mav_Destroyer / March 7, 2010 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: Grub boot manager

I don't know. i don't remember seeing anything about the GRUB boot manager during the ubuntu install. but i did download the super Grub disk from http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ and install in while in windows (had to disconnect linux at that time) however when i rebooted with both HDDs connected nothing happend, it still booted to linux.
should i just reinstall linux with both HDDs connected? i might go with the text only install because the GUI install just doesn't seem to make any sense to me

Collapse -
Grub boot manager
by Ray_moe / March 8, 2010 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Grub boot manager

As you have not told us which version of Ubuntu you are installing here is a general instruction.

Google can be your friend when in need.
Psychocats is a good tutorial for linux help.

I have two linux programs installed on my second drive and I used these instructions.
Both were installed while the drives were connected.
The gui is not difficult to use only needs a little thought before selecting some items

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

Good luck

Collapse -
Think I see your problem
by Ol Rod / March 8, 2010 10:21 AM PST

I dual boot from two separate hard drives. To switch I must shut down, then at re-start I enter the BIOS. You didn't tell what computer you have, different ones are different at this point. On mine, I tap the "delete" key repeatedly at startup as soon as the screen lights up. Others may need to tap F8, or sometimes some other key. I hope you know how to navigate to "boot drive Priority" or some such name. Once there, you select which drive you wish to boot. To select, hilight the one you want, then tap the plus on the numpad to place your choice on top of the list and read the info at the bottom of that page. On mine, after I have placed one on top I tap F10 to apply the change, tap "esc" twice to get to front page of BIOS, then arrow down to "save and exit". That is the only way I can switch Hard Drives in my homebuilt.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?