Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

problems with AVG 9.0

by ellenswabey / November 30, 2009 7:30 PM PST

Hi I am going crazy here and hope you can help!

Last week I upgraded to AVG 9.0 from AVG 8.5 and everything was fine except I could no longer attach large files in gmail (which I really need to do for my course, I'm talking 7MB) and so even though I tried disabling the surf shield in Linkscanner somehow I still couldn't do it so I uninstalled AVG 9.0 and instead installed the McAfee 3 month trial system.

The problem was I still couldn't attach big files (and really needed to) and somehow everything at this stage started going crazy.. to be fair I was fiddling around and trying to fix it myself and when I could no longer even open the document window to attach a file (something about the Data Protection thing getting involved) I decided to restore to last week when I still had AVG 8.5 and everything was fine in the hope that this would get rid of whatever I had done.

Since then it has been very slow, and today I tried to uninstall AVG 8.5. and re-install 9.0 (since I managed to send the large documents from my friends computer last night with AVG 9.0 and the surf shield unticked) but I can't uninstall the old version - it says installation failed and then when I click on details it says

Installer initialization failed due to following error:
Error: @AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8"
@AvgErrorCode_0x0020

And I also can't download the new version - it makes all the signs and sounds that its downloading right but doesn't actually save the file to my PC, totally weird! It does the little ping at the end of the download and closes the window and all but then when I go to where I saved it (I tried both my documents and desktop) the file isn't there. Running instead of saving also makes all the right sounds but then it does nothing once the window has been closed. I also tried downloading from here http://free.avg.com/cz-en/download?prd=afg#tba2 but though it takes longer to download the file it's still not there when I look at where I saved it

Help?

I'm not entirely sure what my operating details are (sorry not hugely technical) but when I go to computer/properties it tells me I have Windows Edition: Window Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Inspiron 1545
Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM2) Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GhZ
Memory (RAM): 2GB
System Type: 32-bit operating system

Any help totally appreciated!

Ellen

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems with AVG 9.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems with AVG 9.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: problems with AVG 9.0
by Ondrej_AVG / November 30, 2009 7:41 PM PST
In reply to: problems with AVG 9.0

Hi,

please follow this link at AVG Free Forum about mentioned situation (+missing downloaded files) caused by system restore to fully reinstall AVG:
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=44013#post_44013

Are you using some other firewall? Like ZoneAlarm etc.

Try AVG9 installation in custom mode and untick "LinkScanner" component if the large files upload issue will be solved then.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: problems with AVG 9.0
by ellenswabey / December 1, 2009 5:39 PM PST

Hi that link you sent enabled me to reinstall AVG 9.0 successfully (though I couldn't find the programdata files - are they in different places than C:/ on different systems?) but I still can't attach large files to my emails even when I disable linkscanner. I really need to be able to send these attachments.. could the speed of my internet connection be a factor even though it worked fine last week when I was still on AVG 8.5? I have checked my security centre and the firewall in operation is Windows.

Thanks

Collapse -
RE
by Dusan_AVG / December 2, 2009 8:30 AM PST

Try to disable both Resident shield and LinkScanner.

Also do you use any other security software that may be interfering

Please also try to attach the files in different browser.

Collapse -
re: problem with AVG 9.0
by ellenswabey / December 2, 2009 5:39 PM PST
In reply to: RE

Hi,

Disabling Resident Shield as well as Linkscanner doesn't work. The only other security I have enabled is the Windows firewall and Google Chrome doesn't seem to work either (which I thought might work better for googlemail but no). I am tempted to upgrade my internet connection but what if it still doesn't work because it did all work last week? Is there anything else AVG 9.0 might have impacted?

Thanks

Ellen

Collapse -
Re: re: problem with AVG 9.0
by Ondrej_AVG / December 2, 2009 9:50 PM PST

Hi,

as you did not exactly specify AVG version, are you using its Free or Pro version? If Pro, check that WebShield component is disabled too.

Else is possible to check this AVG free forum post and provide us with Gmer full scan output?

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: problem with AVG 9.0
by ellenswabey / December 2, 2009 11:30 PM PST

Hi

I am on the free version of AVG. What is a Gmer full scan output?

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Re: problem with AVG 9.0
by Ondrej_AVG / December 6, 2009 4:31 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Re: problems with AVG 9.0
by Ondrej_AVG / December 2, 2009 4:22 PM PST

Hi,

I will just add information about "ProgramData" folder:
- this folder exists on the same partition as Windows folder, but in some cases is hidden. This was described in the end of the suggested thread:

* Some files or folders could be hidden by default. This can be changed in Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Show hidden files and folders. (The location and names can vary, depending on the operating system version).

Thanks

Collapse -
re: avg 9.0 problem
by ellenswabey / December 2, 2009 5:28 PM PST

Ok, do I still need to delete the files now though since AVG 9.0 seems to be working or do you think this could be impacting my attachments? In that case do I delete eveyrthing and reinstall again or delete only programdata files?

Thanks

Ellen

Collapse -
Re: re: avg 9.0 problem
by Ondrej_AVG / December 2, 2009 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: re: avg 9.0 problem

Hi,
no, if AVG9 is installed and not reporting any issue, do not delete it.

Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!