PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Problems with ATI radeon 9200se Video card!! HELP!!!

by borda / March 20, 2005 4:14 AM PST

I just recently put a new ati radeon 9200se 128mb PCI video card into my pc. It did not come with a driver so i went to driverguide.com and got one there. I tried to install the driver but when it was installing it said could not find card... The card was in the PCI slot but the VGA cable was not atached. I then shut down and attached the VGA cable(from the moniter) to the video card and booted up. The pc boot up but nothing on my screen showed up. I then plugged the VGA back into its original place and I am now using the mothebroard built in video. PLEASE HELP!!!! I need to find out how to get the driver installed and the crad to work.!

THanks
Billy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with ATI radeon 9200se Video card!! HELP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with ATI radeon 9200se Video card!! HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why Not ATI.com?
by Oil_Tan / March 20, 2005 4:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Disable
by damasta55r / March 20, 2005 6:23 AM PST

You should've disabled the integrated graphics in BIOs or device manager first.
Roger

Collapse -
how to disable them
by borda / March 20, 2005 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Disable

how do I disable integrated graphics... will that solve the problem??

Collapse -
PCI?
by dagger906 / March 20, 2005 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: how to disable them

Are you sure it's PCI? My Radeon 9200SE runs on AGP slot. PCI is just too slow to run any graphic cards. Just about all mainboard bios automatically disable onboard graphic processors once it detects AGP slot being occupied. PCI is a different story. Your computer probably recognized the card as some kind of Multimedia device, but did not realize it is a graphic card. Just as machine boots up, press Delete key, and look through the menus.

Collapse -
would it fit in AGP slot....
by borda / March 20, 2005 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: PCI?

It's PCI will it fit in AGP slot?... Also my computer doesnt reconize it at all when I plug it in and reboot.

Collapse -
AGP board, onboard video chip?
by Oil_Tan / March 20, 2005 8:16 AM PST

but I thought.
Uninstall all old drivers.
SE means it was a bad chip, something was disables, then downgraded.

Collapse -
Billy.....
by John Robie / March 20, 2005 9:13 AM PST

Re the "Tip" notice just above the "Subject title:", asking when you post to include all the necessary info (ie. operating system, model number, etc...)
What is the brand name and model number of your computer? Also what motherboard or chipset? If you don't know... can get from Belarc. Perhaps you may or may not have an AGP slot, and if you do have an AGP slot, you purchased an PCI video card instead of an AGP card.

Collapse -
9200SE...
by dagger906 / March 20, 2005 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: Billy.....

Radeon 9200SE may not be a good card by today's standard, but it would still be way too fast for a PCI slot. Are you sure it's PCI?

Collapse -
Radeon 9200Se PCI or AGP
by mackman / March 20, 2005 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: 9200SE...
Collapse -
dagger and mackman
by John Robie / March 20, 2005 3:52 PM PST

Hi,

I'm trying to determine if his computer has an AGP slot.

I am aware that the Radeon 9200SE comes in both AGP and PCI versions. The Radeon 9200SE PCI is definately not too fast or it wouldn't be made. In fact damasta55r installed one in February.

The highest you can purchase in regular PCI cards at this time is the Radeon 9250, GeForce FX 5500, or GeForce 5700. I have mentioned this before here.

There is a possiblity that he installed a PCI card in a PCI slot, but has a vacant AGP slot.

Collapse -
Hmm...
by dagger906 / March 21, 2005 10:54 AM PST
In reply to: dagger and mackman
Collapse -
Good Memory
by damasta55r / March 21, 2005 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: dagger and mackman

Wow, you have good memory... Must be nice to be retired and spend all day doing nothing. Me, i am still in high school. I don't even have a job.
Roger

Collapse -
Should start to fade
by John Robie / March 21, 2005 2:17 PM PST
In reply to: Good Memory

at my age. I'd trade retirement with you for your age.;-)

When I was in high school my 1st job was a pin setter in a bowling alley, lasted about 3 weeks, then stocker/bagger/carry-out at a grocery store, then a usher at a vehicle drive in theater, for $2 a night and watch all the great movies free. Saved enough to buy my 1st old Ford vehicle. My son worked as a fry cook at Taco Bell while in high school.

Collapse -
THANKS EVERYONE!!! GOT IT TO WORK!!!!
by borda / March 22, 2005 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: Should start to fade

IT is a PCI card and I do have an AGP slot also... I got the drivers then had to disable onboard graphics and set the bios to boot from PCI. Thanks for your help everyone. If any one knows where I can get a cheap hard drive. 40 gig minumum ideal atleast 80 gigs? Thnks
Billy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?