HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Problems with a computer I (kind of) built.

by bobthebadger53 / May 19, 2015 2:25 PM PDT

I built a computer with some friends several months ago. That said, I don't know much about computers so they did most of the work.

Recently I've had problems when playing games on my computer, even though it should (and used to) be able to run them perfectly fine. I first noticed this issue while playing Dota 2. I experienced noticeable frame rate drops, sometimes dropping down to 15 fps instead of what I was used to, a constant 120.

At first I thought it might just be a problem in Dota, but I tried playing Far Cry 3 and CS:GO, and they did not run well. I'm not sure how to describe it, but when I moved the mouse around, the screen would kind of blur and stutter.

I also noticed that, if I looked in Task Manager while playing Dota (which I play much more often than the other two), the CPU usage would sometimes rise to levels I hadn't seen before. I'm talking 75-100%. This does not seem right.

Finally, in OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), red text pops up telling me that my settings are too high for my computer. Before, no such text was there and I was able to stream on Twitch. When I tried recently, I had major fps problems.

<div>Someone recommended I test the temperatures, here are the results. <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://i.imgur.com/ebuBmrF.png
What caused my computer to go from a steady 120 fps to an unstable, spiking fps and an inability to stream in good quality?

P.S. Here are my specs.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz Manufacturer Intel Speed 3.1 GHz Number of Cores 4
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Manufacturer NVIDIA Chipset GeForce GTX 760 Dedicated Memory 2.1 GB Total Memory 3.9 GB

Memory 8.1 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit Service Pack 1 Size 64 Bit Edition Home Premium

Display Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080

DVD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 ATA Device

CD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 ATA Device

Drive Size 931.4 GB Free 764.1 GB
</div>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with a computer I (kind of) built.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with a computer I (kind of) built.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) So why not dump OBS while gaming?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2015 2:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
obs
by bobthebadger53 / May 20, 2015 10:49 AM PDT

I have not been using OBS since these problems started because it makes games run even worse than without it. However, I was previously able to stream without problems so something is definitely different.

Collapse -
All it takes is one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2015 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: obs

There are not enough clues to write what it is here. Common issues are owners that ask what canned air is, malware and folk that accept drivers from Microsoft.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Until some clues show up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2015 11:36 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.