Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problems Upgrading to Win XP Pro

by Kostass / April 6, 2004 1:22 AM PDT

When attempting to upgrade from Win 98 2SE to Win XP pro I managed to get to the stage where I had entered the product key and the comp started preparing (a non dynamic) installation, after about a min the comp hung up i.e. the progress indicators stopped flashing and timer stopped. I eventually pressed exit and stopped the install.
I then realized that I had forgotten to deactivate my Norton virus scan and firewall and thought this may have been the problem and so deactivated them.
I then tried to run the upgrade installation again but the comp just hung up shortly after pressing Install Windows XP, I had to restart the comp. Tried it a number of times to no avail.

Anyone any ideas about how to proceed now

Many thanks

very frustrated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems Upgrading to Win XP Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems Upgrading to Win XP Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Problems Upgrading to Win XP Pro
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2004 1:31 AM PDT

You didn't reveal much about the machine or what else is installed. I find the best success is a clean install. If someone wants to "upgrade" install, we uninstall every software that we can, including firewalls, antivirus and again every software item we can.

ANY peripheral that can be unplugged is unplugged, then one last BACKUP of what can't be lost is made.

The BIOS is updated and then we try again.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Problems Upgrading to Win XP Pro
by David Chan / April 6, 2004 9:16 PM PDT

I fully agree with Bob on a clean install as an upgrade installation especially from Win98 without uninstalling existing software will likely result in other complications...

For example if you have Easy CD version 3 or 4 after the upgrade your CD-RW will not work and may even not show up in My Computer.

With the hours you've already wasted in several failed attempts it would have been faster to backup all your files and then boot with the XP CD and delete your partition/s and create new one and then format and install XP on a fresh HDD.

Or if your existing HDD is several years old it makes more sense to buy a new HDD and install XP on it.
Then attach your old HDD and extract all your files and settings using the XP Files & Settings transfer wizard.
After that format your old HDD and use it as a spare storage space.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Problems Upgrading to Win XP Pro
by Kostass / April 7, 2004 1:42 AM PDT

Thank you for your advice, I will try again as you have suggested

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.