HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problems uninstalling itunes and itunes helper

by tmano68 / February 24, 2006 10:06 AM PST

Trouble unistalling itunes and itunes helper. I'm cleaning out for some space and rid myself of programs I don't use. - I've tried to uninstall itunes and itunes helper ... i have used windows add/remove program to no avail. Tried numerous times but it/they remain, even though it says complete. Reboot etc. = nothing. Any tricks or procedures or ??? to get rid of it/them for good?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems uninstalling itunes and itunes helper
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems uninstalling itunes and itunes helper
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uninstalling iTunes
by Daviddude / February 24, 2006 10:20 AM PST

Please fully uninstall and reinstall the software. Follow these steps to do this:

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.

2. Select iTunes form the list of currently installed programs.

3. Select Change/Remove button.

4. An iTunes for Windows Installshield window appears.

5. Select the Remove option and select the Next button. The Remove option is not the default.

6. A Confirm Uninstall window appears. Select the OK button.

7. An iTunes for Windows Installshield window appears. It says "Maintenance Successful. Setup has completed maintenance on iTunes.

8. Select the Finish button. This removes most of iTunes Software from the computer. There are a few files left over that you will delete after you remove the iPod Updater.

Next you will remove the iPod Updater, repeat this process for any versions of iPod Updater, iPod Software, or iPod for Windows.

9. In Add/Remove Programs, select iPod Updater.

10. Select the Change/Remove button.

11. A Confirm Uninstall window appears. Select the OK button.

12. The iPod Updater application is removed.

Next you will remove QuickTime.

13. In Add/Remove Programs, select QuickTime.

14. The QuickTime Uninstall window appears.

15. Select the Uninstall Everything button.

16. The Uninstall successfully window appears.

17. Select the OK button.

18. Close the Add or Remove Programs window.

19. Close the Control Panel window.

20. Click Start and point to Turnoff Computer. Select the Restart button.

Now we will remove the files that were not removed by the Add/Remove
control panel.

1. Open My Computer.

2. Open your hard drive.

3. Open the Program Files folder.

4. Delete the iPod, iTunes or QuickTime folders if they are still
present.

Collapse -
thanks
by tmano68 / February 24, 2006 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstalling iTunes

I had done up to your last step (remove from prog files) but just wasn't sure if deleting was safe. Thanks for your prompt and helpful directions!

Collapse -
How to Completely Uninstall and Remove any Traces of iTunes
by zzb2 / October 18, 2009 3:59 AM PDT

If you have any trouble uninstalling and reinstalling itunes you will want to check out this link...

It can keep you from going nuts and is worth it!!

There are some very positive comments at the end of the post be sure to read: http://zardozz.com/zz/2008/04/how-to-completely-uninstall-and-remove-all-traces-of-itunes.html

It can be found here: http://rockbridge.payloadz.com/productdetail.asp?Id=514696

Worth taking a look if all else fails or you just want to fix the problem without doing a lot of research and wasting a lot of time fixing your registry area!

Collapse -
Revo Uninstaller - a must have !!!!
by Autumn / March 17, 2012 6:47 AM PDT

really...everyone should get this "Revo Uninstaller"
I was going nuts for three days and was getting very close to doing a complete reboot...I downloaded and purchased a program called "Regustery Cleaner" which promised to fix the uninstall issue but actually provided no relief at all..."Revo Uninstaller" was a free download (you can purchase later or even uninstall when finished with it) and it took a whole three minutes to totally remove itunes...I then was able to reinstall without issues or popup complaints...and I will purchase this as soon as I come up with the extra cash because I wasted what I had on the other program... Love

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.