Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Problems trying to launch Firefox after install

by shaner7575 / March 28, 2006 2:52 AM PST

I have windows 98SE and have been having probs with Firefox 1.5.0.1, especially with extensions not installing. I tried creating a new profile, but still could not intall extensions. I decided to do a "clean" install, by uninstalling, deleting the firefox profile folder, etc.
I tried reinstalling, which worked up until "launching", a pop up window says firefox is already running to close the application, or restart the computer. I did the CTRL+ALT+DEL, and firefox was not running, so I did restart the computer; tried to start firefox in safe mode, the same pop-up came up again. I uninstalled and reinstalled at least 3 times since then, cleaning out my temp folder beforehand, as suggested in firefox help forums.
Hope someone can help here. I'm using Opera now. So glad I installed it a couple of weeks ago, since I was having probs with firefox's extensions.

Thanks in Advance,

Judy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems trying to launch Firefox after install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems trying to launch Firefox after install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First
by PudgyOne / March 28, 2006 5:19 AM PST

First, Does Mozilla Firefox install without the extentions?

If it does, you a step in the right direction.

Second, Are you trying to install the google toolbar extention? If you are, then this is where your problem is. This extention will not work for Windows 95/98/ME that I know of. There may be more systems but this is what I know for now.

Third, install each extention one by one and try it for a little while to see if the problem comes back.

Some popular extentions are mentioned here

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6620-0.html?forumID=14&threadID=162781&messageID=1803200

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Think I got it fixed!
by shaner7575 / March 28, 2006 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: First

Extensions were my problem to begin with. For some reason, they would not update when they were suppose to. It was like Firefox was not "closing", because when I would restart, the update would still say, "Will update after firefox restarts. Then if I would try and "uninstall", it would say, will uninstall once firefox is restarted, but it would still be there with that message after the restart. I tried creating a new profile and downloaded extensions; same problem. That's when I decided to do a "clean" uninstall, and a new reinstall. When I tried "launching" the new install, it kept saying firefox was already running. I finally went into my profile manager and deleted all profiles there, then created a new profile, and Here I am!
I haven't tried installing any extensions yet, but I am going to click on the link you suggested. I will let you know what goes.
The wierd thing about the "profiles" is I thought I had manually deleted that file before installing the newer download. Glad I went into the profile manager, or I would have never gotten this far.

Thanks again,
Judy

Collapse -
Extensions still not installing properly
by shaner7575 / March 28, 2006 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: First

Just tried installing Adblock. Showed it installing in extension manager, then said will install once firefox is restarted. Closed out; restarted; same message; no install.
Guess I won't try anymore tonight.
Very disappointed.
Any help is appreciated!

Collapse -
Strange...
by John.Wilkinson / March 28, 2006 10:00 AM PST

This is a good one! Obviously there?s something going on behind the scenes that?s causing a problem, so try the following to sniff it out.

1.) Click here for a guide to repairing Firefox. I know you already went through it, but try it again, making sure you didn?t miss anything.

2.) Instead of following step one in the guide using Task Manager, click here to download the free Process Manager from SysInternals. (Sometimes Windows Task Manager just doesn?t cut it.) Look for firefox.exe and kill the process.

3. Download/run CCleaner and RegCleaner, which will clean up the remnants of Firefox.

4.) When reinstalling Firefox, don?t use the installer you already have. Delete that one and download a fresh copy by clicking here.
-------------------------------------------------------
5.) If that doesn?t work, repeat steps 1-3, then click here to download the older version 1.5.
-------------------------------------------------------
6.) If that doesn?t work, repeat steps 1-3, then click here to download Portable Firefox 1.5.0.1. This version of Firefox is completely self-contained (it doesn?t use the system registry and such), and is designed for use on a flash drive. It?s still the same basic browser, but is self-reliant, so any problems that affected the previous installations shouldn?t bother this one. This can be permanent if you like, or a temporary fix on the path to solving the problem.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.
John

Collapse -
Will do as you suggested....Again
by shaner7575 / March 29, 2006 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Strange...

Hi John,
Everything "strange" seems to happen to me!
Thank you for all your help, and I will go through all the steps...AGAIN
Believe it or not, I already have CC Cleaner, as well as Reg Cleaner and used them before installing the "fresh" copy which I had downloaded. I also ran my Spybot Search and Destroy; nothing came up, so I'm confident I'm spyware free.
I'm going to try all the steps again, as directed above, and just may have to settle with the older version. In the meantime, I do find Opera o.k.; just got to get used to it.
I'll let you know how everything goes, and I truly appreciate your help!

Judy

Collapse -
Update
by shaner7575 / March 29, 2006 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Strange...

Well, nothing is running in the background. I uninstalled, and did the repair firefox method, then I did a install of the ''fresh'' 1.5 version. Again, when I tried to launch it said it was already running, but it was not. Again I went into my profile manager, and ''deleted'' from there my profile and created a new default, and it launched right away. For some reason, deleting the profiles from windows\applicationdata,etc.,the profiles are not getting deleted. Anyway, once it did launch, I tried installing the ''print preview'' extension in the extension manager and it did it's thing, and said it would install once firefox was restarted. I closed out, checked to see if firefox was running, which it wasn't, then restarted firefox, and the same old thing...It didn't install print preview, and it still said will install once firefox is restarted. So I ''uninstalled'' version 1.5, since I really don't feel safe using that version, and now I'm in the process of ''cleaning up'' again before installing the ''portable'' version. Noticed that file was 6.4MB compared to the
5MB. Once I get everything cleaned out I will try the portable and check back. Maybe I need more RAM, yet it says 64MB is sufficient. I have 88MB ram.
I'll let you know how things go, and thanks again.

Collapse -
Problems finally fixed, after updating to 1.5.0.2
by shaner7575 / April 15, 2006 6:29 AM PDT

Been to the firefox forum trying to fix my extension problems for weeks. Seems like I wasn't the only one with this same problem. Once the newest version became available, I've had no problems installing extensions.
Guess it had some sort of bug in the older version.
I'm happy now!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for posting back
by PudgyOne / April 15, 2006 6:38 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?