HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Problems sharing my internet through imac

by Eternal_Carlosness / February 16, 2008 12:38 PM PST

hi there everyone,i'm new here,i'm having problem sharing my internet connection through imac,to be precise,i'm sharing my internet connection (through ethernet),via wireless,but the notebook with windows vista seems like having problem connecting to my network,i already set the wep key to 5 characters as instructed. when i tries to connect using windows vista,they just shows "error when connecting to <network name>".did i missing anything here?

i'm using a windows vista home basic for my lappy and leopard for my mac.just for information.thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems sharing my internet through imac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems sharing my internet through imac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sharing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 9:35 PM PST

Although this will work, or should do, by far the easiest and most efficient way to share an internet connection is by using a Router. A wireless one in your case.

If you are sure you followed all the steps in the Hep topic on this subject, try making your wireless network open by removing the password requirement.
This will allow you to see if you have any other settings that are not quite correct without the added problem of WEP configuration.
Once you have achieved your aim, turn on the WEP again

Let us know how you get on

P

Collapse -
Please don't use WEP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 10:16 PM PST
Collapse -
WEP is better than nothing if there is no good alternative
by blue365 / July 6, 2008 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Please don't use WEP.

But if I'm at a hotel and want to share the connection from Mac to Windows laptop, then I'm better off using internet sharing and WEP than having an unsecured network and potentially letting anyone charge my internet usage to me at great cost.

WEP can be made to work but Apple's wep key generation is a bit weird:

See this
http://www.atpm.com/8.04/wifi.shtml

Use Wep Key Generator and enter a hex key (preceded by $) on OS X and same HEX key on PC and WEP is usable.

Collapse -
Sorry, WEP is dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2008 2:59 AM PDT

The cracking programs take from under 2 minutes to maybe a bit longer so as it stands today no one uses WEP if they can avoid it.

Collapse -
Interesting that you mention this
by tleMega / July 6, 2008 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, WEP is dead.

I can only run WEP myself since my Macs will report errors in Network Utility should I switch to the more secure, WPA protocol. I do not know why this is, and I have changed the encryption forms a few times in order to fix it, but I come to no solution. The network overall seems to work generally faster over WEP.

This may tie in somewhere to my current networking configuration, as I have found that I can't use Back To My Mac anymore, due to have more than one device providing NAT services. I think this is because my router has had both of these options enabled, and the modem that my ISP recently shipped me features a built-in router. I would assume that it would have these features as well. I disabled the modem's wireless broadcast, but I left the rest of its features alone. I may have to go back and change some major settings. I think I'd have better luck by addressing the modem first, since I believe the router is working normally. But I can't understand why WPA does not work over my network. I know it didn't work with my original modem and router... Back To My Mac did work before too. I'll have to look into it. It's quite annoying that I can't get my Macs to work properly over WPA.

-BMF

Collapse -
Apples here use WPA with no issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2008 6:30 AM PDT

Sorry you can't use the later systems. Just so you know... A poorer neighbor had geek squad over a dozen times over this one. With WEP they appeared to be suffering from a neighbor hijacking the connection with SMAC or other tools. I helped them move to WPA and they were a little teed off with GS about them not getting the job done.
Bob

Collapse -
I fixed the BTMM problem
by tleMega / July 6, 2008 6:45 AM PDT

by setting the modem back into bridge mode. I previously had it in standard mode with WiFi disabled, hence the NAT conflicts. Even when I removed my external router from the equation, Network Utility reports errors with WPA for some reason, and although it connects to the web for awhile, it appears that my MacBook just won't cooperate. It could either be a problem lying the Leopard code, or a problem with the DSL lines themselves. It did this a long time ago when using older hardware, and the old MacBook I had reported this as well. Probably a fault within the lines indeed.

Whatever it is, it has been working fine with WEP, and no one has hacked it since I enabled it. There are a handful of WiFi networks all around, and some are unprotected. If any passerby wanted to "steal" a signal, they'd probably go after those.

-BMF

Collapse -
"Internet sharing" security????
by blue365 / July 6, 2008 10:15 AM PDT

How do you get Leopard to use "Internet Sharing" with WPA - is there some patch I need?

(WPA works fine for me at home using a Netgear wireless access point.)

Collapse -
We use routers...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2008 10:34 AM PDT

Routers are 20 bucks at Fry's so we never use internet sharing anymore...

Collapse -
WEP and IBSS
by blue365 / July 6, 2008 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: We use routers...

As far as I can find so far, ad-hoc networks are called IBSS and the standards for IBSS only support WEP because the temporal risk is low as long as the network is not used for long.

Certainly in a fixed locality, a router and WPA2 should be used.

But on holidays and sharing a wireless connection for a short time, WEP is likely to be fine. Depending on the risk of information leakage/interception, one could consider frequent (daily perhaps) changes of WEP key.

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/WinXP/microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web/2006-11/msg00077.html

Collapse -
WPA vs. WPA2
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2008 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: WEP and IBSS

Sadly some gear isn't playing well on WPA2. Since WPA doesn't have a few minute crack tool our network forum sticky is stopping at WPA for now.

Collapse -
The security problem is risk management
by blue365 / July 6, 2008 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: WPA vs. WPA2

If we can get stronger security to work, there is no good reason not to us it. If we can't get stronger security to work, any security is better than none. Risk management does not mean one solution for everyone, it means matching the security solution to the risk profile. Low value assets and low risk circumstances require less effort at protection, high value assets and high risk circumstances require more effort and generally higher cost.

We have to accept that 100% security is impossible but that we have to each manage our own risks - since we are the ones responsible, nobody else.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.