Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

problems saving

I'm sure this is going to sound stupid, but that's okay. I searched all over and I can't find an answer. I can save images fine, or so it would seem. I go to save as and I can pick jpg or bmp, which is fine. But when I try to access the picture for use, windows can't open it because it just called 'file'. What is causing this? It's driving me crazy. If someone knows, please help. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems saving
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems saving
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a "file" is with no extension

In reply to: problems saving

A file will be called "file," in the Explorer Type column, when there is no extension (the .xxx part of the name).

My guess is that when you are naming your pictures (whether .bmp or .jpg) that there is no ".bmp" or ".jpg" attached to the filename.

I know of ways to make many applications to not attach a filename extension (that .xxx part) to it, but it isn't typical, and you have to go out of your way to do it. I can't guess as to why it should be happening to you.

By the way, get IrfanView and when you open any of these misnamed files (either missing extensions, or no extensions at all) IrfanView will tell you of the inconsistency, and ask if you want it to correct it for you.

When you get IrfanView open ou can either use the usual "File>Open" commands to locate the files you want IrfanView to attempt to open,
OR
you could just drag any of your graphic files right into the open IrfanView window. Pretty simple.

Collapse -
No extension

In reply to: a "file" is with no extension

ChuckT, You are right about saving a file with a prefex file name such as?XYZ Vacation.jpeg for photo files.
In Word it would be?XYZ Vacation.doc for a text document. Proper naming of the files are important in any app. And also retrieving the file is easier. You can always open a file type without a prefex at the end of a file type. Just have to know where you saved it to and what app you created it in.

Kevin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!