HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

Alert

Problems reinstalling Vista

by thrasherv3 / April 17, 2011 1:52 AM PDT

My laptop was acting up so I decided to restore to factory image. Apparently sometime during this process it overheated and shut off. I knew if didn't finish so I did it again but this time it did not overheat. Everything was going fine until the very end. After it installed the programs a window popped up saying "Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation." Ok, no big probelm. I restarted and tried again. But I continue to get the same error message.

Is there something wrong with windows on my computer? Would buying vista from the store and installing it from the disc fix this? Or is there a hardware problem considering it overheats? Any help would be great Happy

And I have an HP Pavilion dv7 with vista64 premium. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems reinstalling Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems reinstalling Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would suspect
by Jimmy Greystone / April 17, 2011 2:27 AM PDT

I would suspect you either have some bad RAM or a bad HDD. Maybe both, but more likely you have some bad RAM.

Use the computer you're using to read this message and download a copy of memtest86+ and let it run overnight on that computer. If you see ANY errors at all, you have bad RAM, and then you'll want to pull all the RAM out save one stick. Test that for a while, if it passes, put in another stick, rinse and repeat until you find the bad one.

If by chance the system is still under warranty, make it HP's problem to fix. More people need to start holding computer vendor's feet to the fire when they ship a shoddy product. Acer and HP would probably be driven out of the PC business if every customer exercised their rights under the warranty.

Collapse -
Clean airflow no worky :(
by thrasherv3 / April 17, 2011 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I would suspect

Thanks for the replies guys!

Jim,
I'm not sure if running memtest86+ would work in my case. I can restore my computer once before it over heats so I'm sure it wouldn't last the night. Looks like I'll have to take it to a local repair shop but before I do I will trying running that program.

Thanks again guys.

Collapse -
Ouch. it overheated?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2011 2:31 AM PDT

That's never good as corruption can occur anywhere on the HDD. The overheat is a BAD SIGN the machine needs repair. Unless you didn't tell us the machine was sitting on the bed with the vents blocked.

Last ideas? Use the canned air to clean up the vents and then use the RESTORE MEDIA you made and not the disk to disk restore.

Find out why it overheated!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.