Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problems Recovering Laptop Disk

My laptop was a Compaq with a 6 GB hard drive (Dara 206000). The laptop failed to boot up as a result of a dead power supply. I have removed the hard drive and using a laptop hard drive adapter, tried to establish the laptop hard drive as a slave in a desktop unit so that I can extract some un-backedup data. My problem is this: The desktop unit recognizes it as a slave and in fact states that the laptop disk is performing satisfactorily when it looks at hardware that has been installed. BUT, the laptop drive does not appear in the My Computer window so that I can access it and recover my data. I would appreciate any information that will help me recover my data.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems Recovering Laptop Disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems Recovering Laptop Disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Problems Recovering Laptop Disk

In reply to: Problems Recovering Laptop Disk

Just did this last week. Notes:

1. It wouldn't be anything other than MASTER. I let it be that on the second IDE channel.

2. The drive was a little mangled so I booted KNOPPIX and copied the files to the other drive.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Problems Recovering Laptop Disk

As laptop hard drive is seen in hwd but not in Windows Expolrer and Operating System not mentioned. I will assume that Tower is running Win9x and laptop is running XP or Win2000.

If this is so Win9x cannot read the file system of XP/Win2000. (Fat32/NTFS). You will have to slave laptop drive to a system using XP/Win2000.

If this is not the case then go with Bob's post on recovering files.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Problems Recovering Laptop Disk

It is just the reverse of what you suggested. The laptop was running 98 and the tower that we were trying to slave it to is XP. Should XP be able to read the FAT file?

Collapse -
Sometimes.

In reply to: Re: Problems Recovering Laptop Disk

Here's what can flumox the works.

If the laptop drive was prepared with anything other than FDISK.

I'd found KNOPPIX to be very useful with such issues. And very easy to use.

It's also possible the drive is not accessable from DOS. Try the drive alone as master and use a DOS disk. DIR C: should work if it's a stock partition.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Sometimes.

In reply to: Sometimes.

Bob,

Not discounting KNOPPIX as this application is the way to go. But what would happen if the laptop H/D was put on the secondary IDE as a Master? Provided that the drive does not have a 3rd party DDO or Go Back.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Sometimes.

A little more info on the laptop disk. It came on a Compaq laptop and Compaq had it configared so that Compaq had about 3 of the 6 Gigs for it's recovery process so it had 2 partitions. They were identified as Drives C (mine) and D (theirs). I also had Go Back installed on the laptop. You mentioned something about Go Back in the previous note. Thanks, Wally

Collapse -

Go Back is the application preventing XP from seeing the files on the Laptop drive. You have two work arounds, KNOPPIX, safe, or disable Go Back by booting from laptop drive only, spooky.

Seen Go Back take up to 2 hours to uninstall itself.
And I haven't used KNOPPIX (yet). KNOPPIX is the better option.

Luck.

Collapse -

Thanks for the info on Go Back. While that program was of great use to me originally, it appears that it has become a great problem. Wally

Collapse -

I guess I'm still confused. The Go Back program does reside on the laptop's disk but not on the xp desktop machine. Would the Go Back program on the slave disk cause the XP desktop machine not to recognize the laptop's disk as a slave in "My Computer"? The XP desktop machine is not trying to execute anything on the disk, only trying to say it exists. Wally

Collapse -
Action?

I'm unsure what tests have been performed. If I want my data back, I always try the methods I've used before. That is, the drive I want my data from on the IDE PRIMARY and as MASTER. Anything else requires more work and could be flighty. The DOS boot diskette is old school and an easy test to see if the volume has a readable volume.

Try it.

Bob

Collapse -
Go Back

Wally,
This web site does a better job than I
can in explaining the boot process.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/boot_Sequence.htm

Go Back is in control of your systems boot record and file system. DOS is controlled by Go Back, if Go Back is not running DOS does not know where to find the files. (simplifed)

As Bob said in his last post hook it up as master on primary IDE (this will be your only drive). If drive is OK it will boot. When Go Back starts press the "space key" (stay ready, this happens quickly). This will allow you to access Go Back and disable application.

Finish boot to Windows cancelling New Hardware Installs, shut down system and reconfigure as slave.
With Go Back uninstalled your files will be reable.

Also if drive can be attached in the case use it as extra storage.

Did this help?

Comments....

Bill

Collapse -
Re: Go Back

In reply to: Go Back

Thanks much Bill. I will try it when I can "hook up" with my Son the next time. (He's got the Desktop machine)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.