Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problems loading Front Page 2000

Hello all.

I have a Gateway that's about 6-7 years old with Windows XP installed.

My car club's prez would like me to take over web site duties. The site was built with Front Page 2000. I got a FP disc from my neighbor and neither one of the computers will load cause it says there's newer versions loaded currently on them.

What can I do to get it to load? Sorry if this is stupid question.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems loading Front Page 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems loading Front Page 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Why not use the newer version then?

In reply to: Problems loading Front Page 2000

Collapse -
don't know

In reply to: Why not use the newer version then?

Collapse -
Re: Frontpage

In reply to: don't know

I can't find your error message about newer versions of Frontpage being installed with google. Can you post the full and litteral text of the message without any typos? That might help.
An nice example of a typo: the space in Front Page. If you look for that, you won't find it, because it's Frontpage without space (and without a second capital, although that doesn't matter).

Generally, later versions of a program will read files from older versions. So I expect no problem there. But it might be nice to know the cause of the current problem because it might interfere with installing another version also.

Did you search the registry for Frontpage? Strangely enough, I found a lot of references for it in the Office 11 (Office 2003) part of the registry, although I'm sure I didn't install it.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Frontpage

In my above post is the only message I get. It's a screen shot of the actual message.

You were right about not using a space between frontpage. I did another search and it came up but when I found it(hidden file) & click it, it goes to version 3.0 and then I click it and it brings up "bin". I click that and nothing.

The worry of buying a new version and it not load is my exact thoughts. Either that or I can't use it to edit the current web site.

THANKS

Collapse -
Look CLOSELY at that image.

In reply to: don't know

That's not Frontpage 2000 but Windows 2000. It's a good thing it gave you that message!

Collapse -
more stupid questions

In reply to: Look CLOSELY at that image.

You know, I never paid that much attention. So I was trying to load an operating system, older than my XP at that? My neighbor gave me an operating system restore instead of the stand alone frontpage program?

So, frontpage is part of the Windows 2000 program? Maybe that's the reason he burned that copy for me.
Does frontpage come with XP?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help!

Collapse -
Frontpage was never supplied with an OS.

In reply to: more stupid questions

It's not on that CD. Try EBAY if you must have FP2000 but try what you have.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Frontpage was never supplied with an OS.

What if I were to buy an up to date version of Frontpage. Will it work with the 2000 version that the web site was built with?

Kees Bakker mentioned why not try using the newer version. What's the newest version? The newest I come up with is 2003. My car club will most likely reimburse me.

The club prez also mentioned blowing up the current one and starting a new one. I notice some of the hosting sites have web site editors thrown in a hosting package. Would it be worth my time to start over with one of the click and drop editing programs?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions. If there's anything you all want to know about '70 Dodge Chargers or Challengers, I can help.

Collapse -

In reply to: ...

Well my neighbor gave me the right copy. Now I just need to figure out how the he** to work it. I've already deleted the background color on the home page on accident. I want to save all the files from the web site onto my external hard drive but it's telling me it's gonna take close to 3 days that is if I have enuf space.

Don't know what I've gotten myself into.

Collapse -
Locked. Sorry we can't discuss pirated goods.

In reply to: .....

The OS you showed and your last comment is problematic. We can't talk about pirated goods here.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.