- Start with a new clean install. Turn off automatic updates.
- If still the original, then install SP1 from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15090/windows-7-install-service-pack-1-sp1
- Then download and run the convenience rollup from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125574/convenience-rollup-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2
- Then make an image backup to go back to if necessary.
- Then let Windows update do the remainder (Internet Explorer>Tools>Windows Update). If that fails, do it one by one.
I reinstalled Windows 7, subsequently the system tried to install maybe 160 updates. Each time I get an error message: "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer."
How can I install these updates? Is there some way that I can segment the installation into smaller slices as a way of updating with less likelihood that the whole sequence will fail?