Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Problems installing vista ultimate 64 bit

by kingconscious / August 15, 2007 9:49 AM PDT

I had windows xp installed on my computer, but I bought windows Vista ultimate. I tried installing vista and everytime it gets done intalling it says it is going to restart, I let it. when it comes on and tries to start it briefly flashes a blue screen and before I can read the error it shuts off. I thought oh ok well I just did something wrong let me try it again, so I do and the same thing happens. what can I do? oh I have 4gigs of ram, athalon 64 x2 processor, 500Gb sata HDD, eva 8800 gts 640Mb, so I know my system should be able to handle vista 64 bit. please help me, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems installing vista ultimate 64 bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems installing vista ultimate 64 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's the RAM
by soldano / August 15, 2007 7:18 PM PDT

Before you go nuts on me hear me out.

There is a know compatability issue with Vista and 4 gig of RAM whilst installing. You need to take out 2 gig of RAM and do your install. Once all is up and running there is a MS fix for the issue. Run that fix and then you can install your other 2 gig of RAM.

I know it sounds freaky but it's true. Give it a try.

Here is the MS hotfix for when you get your system up with the first 2 gigs.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

Cheers

Collapse -
Thanks
by kingconscious / August 15, 2007 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: It's the RAM

I ended up taking back out the ram last night a little while after I posted and it booted up and was running just fine. thank you for the link though I was worried I might never get 4 gigs running.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.