Linux forum

General discussion

Problems installing Ubuntu 7.04 alternate CD

by Mikel72 / May 7, 2007 8:32 AM PDT

Hello !

I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.04 alternate CD downloaded from Ubuntu.com, I've verified the CD (ubuntu has a program for that) and it said my CD copy is OK !
I am trying to install ubuntu in my old Compaq Presario 5360 (02 disk: 13GB and 10 GB both are IDE and 320 MB RAM) this machine works prefectly with Windows XP... I run ubuntu 5.04 from the CD Live and aparently everything is OK in this machine, but now I want to install v7.04 in my Hard Disk
well, When I am installing my computer freezes when is Partitioning Disks, I've tried twice and it stop in the same process... stop in 50% of the partition job, I am sure the disks are OK 'cause I've used both before in XP, same problem twice in the same process (50% done)

Any Idea? I am new in Linux and I want to try it seriously, but this issue is annoying.

I've noticed the BIOS is from 1999 and I got a message from Ubuntu about BIOS dates, somebody nows something about it?

Thank you for your support.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems installing Ubuntu 7.04 alternate CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems installing Ubuntu 7.04 alternate CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us this message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 8:36 AM PDT

"I got a message from Ubuntu about BIOS dates"

While 1999 is old, that plus "message from Ubuntu" could help.

Collapse -
Maybe, but...
by Mikel72 / May 7, 2007 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell us this message.

You are right, that message is the first in the boot, is the first thing what the system shows, but is just a warning, Ubuntu did the scan for hardware, recognized the disks... I think ubuntu did a lot in the installation, but is with the partitions where it fails... that could be for the BIOS? if was the BIOS ubuntu hadn't started its job...

Anyway... do you know where can I get an BIOS actualization for this machine? Don't forget I can run Ubuntu Live 5.04 booting from CD with no problems.

Thank you

Collapse -
What is "an BIOS actualization"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe, but...

Sorry. I've heard of bios updates but that term is a new one.

Bob

Collapse -
You know what I mean...
by Mikel72 / May 7, 2007 9:58 AM PDT

ok, bad english...

But you know what I mean... so I need a "BIOS update" for this Compaq Presario 5360, any idea where I can get it? or is a waste of time.

Collapse -
I just updated my Compaq R3000 BIOS last week.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 10:18 AM PDT

I went to Compaq.com, typed in my model number and it was not too rough to find it.

Have you done this?

Re "you know what I mean." Sorry I don't. I did however double check an online dictionary to see if actualization meant something I didn't think of.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe, but...
by Mikel72 / May 7, 2007 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell us this message.

You are right, that message is the first in the boot, is the first thing what the system shows, but is just a warning, Ubuntu did the scan for hardware, recognized the disks... I think ubuntu did a lot in the installation, but is with the partitions where it fails... that could be for the BIOS? if was the BIOS ubuntu hadn't started its job...

Anyway... do you know where can I get an BIOS actualization for this machine? Don't forget I can run Ubuntu Live 5.04 booting from CD with no problems.

Thank you

Collapse -
When the bios message comes up,
by ahtoi / May 7, 2007 2:32 PM PDT

did you just click on "ignore"? I seem to remember something like that came up on my Kubuntus install as well (my computer is fairly new).

Collapse -
This is the message...
by Mikel72 / May 9, 2007 11:10 AM PDT

This is the BIOS message:

[0.000000] ACPI: BIOS age (1999) fails cutoff(2000). acpi: force is required to enable PCI.

That is all, no options, but the program continues installing.

For some reason I disconnected one of the disk (13 GB is now OFF) and Ubuntu partitioned well, but when it was installing I got this message:
"
Install the base system
debootstrap warning

warning: Failures while configuring required packages
"

I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.04 alternate disk. I checked the disk with the program in ubuntu and it says the CD is OK. But it seems to have some issues in the media.

I need some help about it.

Thank you

Collapse -
You may have to try another distro for elder PCs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2007 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: This is the message...
Collapse -
No way
by Mikel72 / May 9, 2007 11:47 AM PDT

I've talked to a Compqa technician who said no way, NO BIOS update for this issue... I have the lastest BIOS update already.

But again... Ubuntu seems to do the job... I am gonna make a new CD.
Or maybe I have to try with other version?
Or
I have to forget about Linux in my PC

Thanx

Collapse -
Really? No update? What is this 2002 BIOS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2007 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: No way
Collapse -
I solved the problem... it was...
by Mikel72 / May 19, 2007 11:57 AM PDT

The hard disk

First af all, that updates are for Windows, my PC hadn't any os installed so they never worked for me.

I've tried to install version 7.04 and 6.04 with NO succes, then I tried to install Windows XP (that pc was working good with XP until last month) BUT anyway, aparently my primary and original disk had a problem.

I simply changed the primary disk (master, slave... whatever you want to call it) and finally I installed UBUNTU 6.04 WITH NO PROBLEMS.

My disk is a 10GB and I can see a 5.00 GB volume and other systemfile volume with 2.00 GB free, why? I don't remember to have partitioned the disk in the installation, AND when I want to see my 5 GB volume the system says me that it can't mount the volume... WHAT CAN I DO?

I said I have 6.04 version, Can I update to 7.04 (I have the CD from the web) some tips about it?

Where I can get more information about the interfaces? I need to know more about its desktop and user interface

I have a 13GB HDD that I want to add to this system, How can I do that (I mean, add it in the OS).

Can I play my Windows MP3 on it?
my netx step, connect it with my XP and Vista via my router/hub, connect to internet and try to use some apps.
What System File must I use for doing this (XP interaction)?

Thank you very much

Mikel

Collapse -
When I see that I...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 12:00 PM PDT

DBAN (google.com) the drive so it's blank when I start.

Bob

Collapse -
re: upgading
by scott_789 / May 19, 2007 3:23 PM PDT
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

from what that says you really need to do 6.10 (Edgy) and then 7.04 and it actually is better to let the Update Manager to do it, but if you have a clean install of Dapper and Edgy and then use your CD... well thats up to you. If you have broadband I'd just let the Manmager do it. It does'nt take all that long upgrading.

Documentation to get you started --- https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

Also the Ubuntu forums of course.

I imagine that you should be able to use fdisk to fix your partition try google or the forums for that.

here's a good thread on mounting:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=195264

Also, that 2002 BIOS update that Bob was referring to is the ROM updates that were listed there. I've only heard of them as BIOS but I am 99% sure it's the same thing (I googled "rom bios" to check). If you read both of them there you'll see you need the second one listed. .::rolleyes::. Do you have a floppy? (Why don't you flash that bad-boy and start over trying the 7.04? ) Wink
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.