PC Applications forum

General discussion

Problems installing Office XP on WIN98SE

I have a really old system that I am trying to install office xp on. When I initially tried to install it, I received an error message regarding several outdated dll files (odbcint, odtext32, odbcjt32, odexl32, oddbse32, odpdx32). Assuming that it would fix the problem, I then checked for updates on microsofts website and downloaded all of them. After this I attempted to install office xp again and now windows doesn't recognize the exe. If I go to my computer, instead of the typically cd-r icon there is a different icon. It is the one that you would normally see when you have to select which program to open a file. (Not sure of the technical name).

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thank you,
Tonya

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems installing Office XP on WIN98SE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems installing Office XP on WIN98SE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: office xp on windows 98

In reply to: Problems installing Office XP on WIN98SE

Tonya,

I didn't realize it, but it seems to be supported indeed. Does your PC meet all requirements in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/orkXP/HA011363301033.aspx

Could you explain what you mean with:
- "all of them": what updates exactly? from windows update or anything else? are those files you mention updated indeed?
- "I attempted to install Office XP again": did the install end correctly or were there error messages?
- "Windows doesn't recognize the exe": what exe? what is "recognize"?
- "icon": on what device, folder or program do you expect the 'typical cd-r' icon? What is a 'cd-r' icon? Is it different from the normal 'cd'-icon?
- Can you describe the other icon (you see in stead of that) better?
What happens if you click on that icon?

Kees

What do you see in My Computer with any other data CD?

Collapse -
reply to office xp on windows 98

In reply to: Re: office xp on windows 98

Hello Kees,

Yes, the system meets all requirements.

(1.) I went to microsofts websites and checked the systems against the latest security & updates. There were approximately 10 updates ranging from outlook security updates to windows security updates. I downloaded all of them.
(2.) No, the install did not end correctly. I received several error messages in the middle of the copy file process regarding the dll files I mentioned previously. The message indicated that the files could not be found or were outdated and that office xp may not work properly if I choose to continue. I foolishly continued on and shortly after the install just completely stopped (locked up, paused).
(3 and 4) After I downloaded all of the microsoft security updates, I attempted to install office xp again thinking the problem had been corrected with the outdated dll files. Only this time instead of auto-running the office xp install, the system does not recognize the content on the cd-r (appears to be an unregistered/ unregconized extension in windows, it doesn't know what to open it with). The icon that I refer to is a white horizontal rectangle with maybe a flag in the center. If I click on the icon the "open with what program" dialog box appears.

The cd-rom works just fine. I used it to install my new dsl modem.

I hope I have explained myself well enough. If you need more information, please do ask.

Thank you very much for help!!!!!

Tonya

Collapse -
If the CD isn't recognized ...

In reply to: reply to office xp on windows 98

in Windows Explorer or My Computer (so you can't see what's on it, and it doesn't autorun, as the Office CD should) I'm afraid you either have a hardware problem or the cd has become defective.
- What happens if you insert this CD in another computer?
- What happens if you insert another data CD (like your DSL-install CD) in this computer?
- And with a music CD?

The regular Windows security patches (and that's all you should download from Windows update) shouldn't cause problems with reading a CD. So something is very wrong.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.