Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Problems getting my digital camera to work with pc

I have had this computer for 4 years now. I purchased the pc from DELL. The operating system is Windows ME. I started noticing a problem with my pc when I first tried installing the software to use a zip drive. The problem is that the installation process would get stuck before it gets done. That was a year after I bought the computer. Since then, I have not been able to install two digital cameras, a handheld pc, a printer (Lexmark), Microsoft's windows update, and MSN 8 and 9. But, what really confuses me is that I can install Norton Antivirus, games, etc. What is wrong with my computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems getting my digital camera to work with pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems getting my digital camera to work with pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's try the usual. Systemworks bug.

In reply to: Problems getting my digital camera to work with pc

There's a bug in Systemworks (never fixed) that creates thousands of 0 byte files in C:\Windows\Inf If you uninstall Windoctor and delete the 0 byte files, it usually works.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Let's try the usual. Systemworks bug.

In reply to: Let's try the usual. Systemworks bug.

Thank you. I have looked at your pointer and I think it will work. The only thing preventing me from trying it out is that my computer is in coma. I noticed that someone or something in the internet downloaded several unwanted programs into my computer. Norton took care of 5 virus and Ad Aware took care of other programs and folders. Ad Aware indicated that there has been several attempts at hijacking my computer. However after cleaning my computer the above mentioned programs, my MSN dial up window still has got an international phone number and a different user id. So I deleted almost all files that were installed in my computer around that time by selecting these files and deleting them. This did not work. So, using the system configuration utility I found sehu.exe which I did not recognize. I unchecked it, restarted computer and now my computer is in coma. I cannot even access safe mode. Could you help me out?

Collapse -
Troubleshooting Windows Startup.

In reply to: Re: Let's try the usual. Systemworks bug.

While virus/trojan damage can be quite severe, I wonder how such found its way onto your machine. You didn't tell what you think happened.

If you use Kazaa, imesh, or other P2P software, such is known and ... I can't help such machines because it's a neverending battle I will not engage in.

Read http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=273738 or which one that notes your OS.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!