Camcorders forum

General discussion

Problems for Sony DCR-HC40?

by clark_kent / November 1, 2004 7:53 AM PST

I am a recent college grad, ready to tape the world around me in all settings, and I want to be able to remember these things for the rest of my life. I have set my mind on a Sony DCR-HC40, but I don't want to regret this decision. Are there known flaws or common problems with this model? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems for Sony DCR-HC40?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems for Sony DCR-HC40?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Problems for Sony DCR-HC40?
by dushyant / November 2, 2004 10:28 PM PST

No doubt Sony HC40 is good handycam but make sure of few points before u purchase the same
1) Is this going to give exact video quality as it appers on the LCD while downloading it to your computer. As i am suffering a lot for the same. On TV it looks perfect but when downloading it to PC, the quality is worse.
2) The s/w provided by Sony - "Picture Package" is the worst. In it u dont have optin of downloading the exact movie with its orignal voice. IT starts its own editing and mixing.
3) the snaps that u can take from it is to the max of 1.2 mega pix. ITs not all good. If u are interested to have photos then go for Digital Cam. With this u r investing money for no use.

What i suggest is Go for sony's model which straight away gives DVD. ITs easy and gives good picture quaity.

Collapse -
Compact design
by clark_kent / November 6, 2004 7:14 AM PST

Thanks for the feedback. I really have been reading up on these compact designs and the lens cover for DCR-HC40 seems great. Does anyone know if any other camera's incorporate this built in lens cover feature. Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: Compact design
by emendeep / December 8, 2004 7:16 PM PST
In reply to: Compact design

I am owning a DCR HC40 for the past 6 months and have been struggling to transfer the movies on my tapes to my Hard Disk. Overall really hopeless product, because of the 3rd party software -- Picture Package. I would suggest you better search more on the net, study review pages and yes -- do dig out the forums for the models you shortlist -- thats the real place where you will find out the real performance of the product.

All The Best

Collapse -
Re: Compact design
by emendeep / December 9, 2004 4:43 PM PST
In reply to: Compact design

Another thing, which I would like to point out here is that in DCR HC40, I am facing a strange problem... the RED LED of Memory Stick keeps flashing and the battery drains quickly... At times, the charging also does not start.

I bought the DCR-HC40 from TechnoMart in Seoul, Korea, this year May. Its more than 6 months now. I have seen other similar posts having the battery charging / draining problem (refer

Since I bought the model in Korea, its having only 1 year warranty and only in Korea. If I get it repaired here in India, it would cost a lot -- almost 40% of the actual price of the HandyCam. Apparently Sony has some flaw in design of HC40, which is causing this problem to numerous users.

Check out forums in detail before putting your money in any one of the HandyCams

Collapse -
by Rines / November 13, 2004 6:16 AM PST

If you care about burning your footage to a DVD - you may want to buy a different camera - The Sony DCR HC40 will not even burn a DVD using a Sony Vaio computer with there bundled "Click to DVD" program! I was shocked - and returned camer for a full credit. Thanks to Best Buy for being honest and a kick in the teeth please to Sony - they deserve it

Collapse -
by clark_kent / November 14, 2004 12:44 AM PST

What camera would you suggest if I didn't go with this one? I am looking for something between 500 and 600 dollars, and I thought the DCR-HC40 seemed like a good bet, but now I am not so sure.

Collapse -
by si / December 10, 2004 7:38 PM PST

I bought a DCR-HC40 about 2 months ago, so I have limited experience with it, but let me tell you: The small design is great. The buttons for record, zoom, etc. are all very conveniently located and easy to manipulate. The quality appears to be very good, even when I transfer to computer using USB. So far, I am pleased with the performance for the price & size.

However, the software packaged with it is USELESS and Sony gets a big thumbs down for that. But, you don't buy a camcorder for the software, right? I use Windows Movie Maker (free with WIN XP OS) to transfer my videos.

I have not had any charging problems, but am aware of this potential from others, so I have purchased a separate charger which plugs in to the wall and an extra battery (normally you charge the battery whilst it is connected to the camcorder - which means you can't use it while you're charging).

For the price and features, I think (so far) it's a good camcorder for everyday recording memories.

Collapse -
Sony DCR-HC40
by just_kelly / May 25, 2006 11:23 PM PDT

The camera has a lot of good features but is rather complicated unless you take the time to really read and understand the manual. However, the reason I'll never buy another Sony is the interfacing to edit the videos. Yuck! The software they give you is a joke and even they (the software company) admit that! Further, the USB transfer is a very poor method to transfer your video to a PC, a Fire Wire is much better, and they don't tell you this in the instructions. Sony's helpline on any of this is also a big joke and very poor. Sony really dropped the ball on the useage end of things... shame on them! I have learned the hard way to research the processing end of my plans before asuming all cameras are designed to make movies. They aren't. Sony must be assuming customers will only want to shoot and replay. Period.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?