General discussion

Problems downloading from my site. . .

Most of you know my site http://www.wayne.hardy.com I have a Download page that contains free software. I'm getting reports that when someone tries to download they get a zero byte file. An example is this one for PrintNow http://24.0.232.224/software/PCMPRNTN.ZIP

I can download it from three PCs running XP and W98SE but a visitor said they couldn't download it.

Any thoughts?

Wayne

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Problems downloading from my site. . .
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problems downloading from my site. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Most likely their error Wayne...

Check with them and see how they are trying to download the files and whether they are using a download manager of some type.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Any thoughts on roddy's message below?
- Collapse -
The only thoughts are...

that possibly those unable to download or getting partial or corrupted downloads may have an over populated browser cache.
Have them clear their cache and temp directory and try again.

Next thought would be your server and amount of RAM installed. Take a look at your logs and see what errors are showing up or if you are being overloaded at specific times.

Another thought is that it is possible (not necessarily likely but possible) that those having problems are being routed to your server along the same trunks and through some of the same nodes that others are not hitting.

One more possibility comes to mind. Those having problems may be accessing through an ISP that is using some type of web accelerator and those get their speed by local caching--they may well have cached a corrupt load.

See if you can get those who had a problem to try again tomorrow.

- Collapse -
Thanks Ed. . .

Good information.

Good thought on the cache. My server has 256 Meg of RAM with a P-III 866 processor. Should be enough. And another good thought about the accelerators.

I'm going to reinstall the server software just for grins.

Thanks again for the help.

BTW, why don't I have your picture here http://24.0.232.224/CNet_folks/page.html

Wayne

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My picture is not for faint of heart
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Neither is mine but it is there :D
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Email is standing by.
- Collapse -
You said that before Wayne and...

I sent you one of me with Smokie (long ago when you only had 12 or 14 pictures)--you never posted it (thanks).

- Collapse -
I got it. . .

But it was thumbnail size. Email coming your way.

- Collapse -
Never mind. . .

Found your email and information.

Have a good one.

- Collapse -
I just tried it Wayne and

I clicked "save". It saved as a zipped file with supposedly 33KB but when I went to extract it, I got a popup saying there were no files to extract. I tried double clicking instead and got a popup saying the file was corrupted. I do NOT use a download manager or accelerator and I'm on dialup if that helps any.

- Collapse -
Excellent. . .

Now how do I fix it? Wink

Could it be my server, router, any thoughts?

- Collapse -
I Just tried it again, this time

directly from the website. I tried it 3 times and got error messages all 3 times saying that the download could not complete because the "server reset". One time it went 16%, next time was 21%, the 3rd time is made it to 27%. I really don't think the problem is on my end. I never have trouble downloading anything on this new XP computer. I did updates today for Norton, Spybot, and Ad-Aware with no problems at all. I hope that helps some.

- Collapse -
Wayne, Worked Fine Here...

I tried it on three different machines, all Win 2000 or XP on a T1 line..No problems. Download of the .zip file went smoothly and it contained all appropriate files.

I know this doesn't help much, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Grif

- Collapse -
Noting roddy's reply. . .

I wonder if it could be a timing problem. I'll look at my server software. Maybe it's just on dial-up.

Thanks for letting me know.

- Collapse -
Wayne, I'll Try Again...

...in about two hours on a dial-up connection. I'll let you know how it goes.

Grif

- Collapse -
Yes, please. . . and hey Roddy. . .

I just changed the keep alive time, increased it, hoping that will fix the slow speed of dial-up. Maybe, maybe not, I have no clue. I'm on cable behind a router, and have no way of accessing dial-up.

Roddy, if you're still here, would you try again also?

- Collapse -
OK, I tried it again

It was worse this time the first time I tried it, the download wouldn't even start and the whole page just timed out which it did NOT do earlier. I refreshed the page and the download got to 27% and the "server reset" error popped up again. I tried it 3 times. Always went to 27%. Earlier, I tried the PacMan, which is bigger and got to 71% and got the same error.

- Collapse -
Well, crap.

Back to the drawing board.

I'll try to contact the vendor of the server software. Thanks for helping and the information.

Wayne

- Collapse -
Wayne, Just Did The Dial-Up Download..Worked Fine

Downloading for a Win XP SP2 HOME computer with dial-up connection. The .zip download went fine at a fairly decent rate of speed and all files were inside the .zip file, just like they're supposed to be.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
It appears now that

besides the original person with the problem, I am the only other one but I have no clue why. I just downloaded a couple of things from other websites just to try it and had no problems at all so I tried both the Printnow and Pacman again and they still stop. NOW PrintNow stops at 27% ever time and Pacman is stopping at 90% every time. Like I said earlier, I also downloaded updates from Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Norton earlier today. I have a 56K modem but I live in the middle of nowhere and usually connect between 28 and 32Kbps. I have no clue what the problem is Wayne. The error just says, unable to complete download because the server reset.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i had np at all?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Aren't you on cable?
- Collapse -
Print now

Wayne
I downloaded with Firefox on 56k modem all went well.

HTH
Ray

- Collapse -
RE: Problems downloading from my site. . .

I just downloded it on dialup 32.2KB (32.2KBps). 64KB on Disc. But the file is empty.

- Collapse -
That's what happened to me earlier

with the same exact speed on the download. It downloaded but the files were empty but now the download just stops on me. LOL

- Collapse -
Thanks to all of you. . .

Great information, except how to fix it!! LOL

The term "server reset" may be a clue. It appears to be a dial-up problem, but only for some people. I'm conversing via email with a guy in Austraila having the same problem ('course that is a long way off). I'll persue it.

- Collapse -
Just to let you know Wayne for TWO reasons

I just did the second update for the day from NAV that was 477.2KB had had no problems. The other reason that I'm telling you is that I know you have NAV and the second update is for a category 3 worm so if it hasn't updated automatically for you yet. I would run it.

- Collapse -
Thanks Roddy. . .

I'm running NSW 2005 now and updates are automatic. I'll look at it.

Wayne

CNET Forums

Forum Info