General discussion

Problems downloading and installing Quicktime?

Has anyone encountered problems downloading the free version of Quicktime, causing the system to crash, or reboot? Is this rather bloated program a source of undesirable issues?
Any comments appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problems downloading and installing Quicktime?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problems downloading and installing Quicktime?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Problems downloading and installing Quicktime? = Yes.

Just from a history point of view. It was unstable at first when 98 rolled out and after a few years they fixed it up so it worked for more people.

It's unclear to me what determines who will have a problem, but a stock XP install seems OK. Must be some interaction, but where?

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6138-0.html?forumID=31&threadID=19329&start=0 shows the same irritations with Shockwave. But with that one I've found (with the help of people here and personal experience) many things that cause that to not install.

Bob

- Collapse -
Quicktime Alternative

Go here ( http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/ ) and download the QuickTime Alternative package. It includes all the necessary files to play QuickTime files WITHOUT the QuickTime player. It even includes what is probably the best mesia player for Windows, MediaPlayer Classic which can handle both QuickTime and RealMedia files (there's a Real Alternative too so you can ditch the other bloated POS player) as well as any other video or audio format that there's either a built in decoder for or one installed on the system.

- Collapse -
I've used Quicktime for years

I've never had issues with the player. Although, I just use the "plug-in" for movie trailers at apple.com. qttask at startup has caused problems on other PCs I've worked on, just disable that.

- Collapse -
Finally managed it, thanks.

Thank you all for the advice.
After three attempts to download Quicktime, I was finally successful by using the Custom install method, albeit with all options checked. As I had used it for years on Win 98se, I was beginning to fear that it had issues with Win XP(Home). The only drawback is that I chewed up a large chunk of my measly ADSL monthly quota.

CNET Forums