PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Problems Copying pictures to my WD external HD

by tjpjrp36 / September 11, 2006 6:12 AM PDT

Hi,
I really hope someone can help me out.
I have been trying to figure this out for over 6 weeks & I really need to get these pictures on my External drive.

I have never had a problem with this... I have always just done a drag & drop from my SD card to the external... however, somewhat recently, I have downloaded the newest version of easy share software for my camera / printer dock.... it seams that since then is when my problem started... I can copy most of the pictures, but on some I get an error message ''Cannot Copt file 100_****: the path is too deep''

I would say I can only copy about 8 out of 10 pictures.
At first I thought it was just one of my cards & now I know this is happening with them all.

Now all my SD cards are full & I need to empty them.

I have not changed any settings on my camera, I always have it set on the highest resolution for best pics.

I really hope someone can help me here,
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks SO much in advance for any info.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems Copying pictures to my WD external HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems Copying pictures to my WD external HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've seen this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 7:11 AM PDT

The external drive is usually formatted in FAT32 (which does have limitations) or the drive is about to expire.

Run CHKDSK or what disk checking and test programs you have but first make sure you have your backups in order since a few members lost all the external drive contents during chkdsk.

Bob

Collapse -
some questions
by linkit / September 11, 2006 7:15 AM PDT

What operating system?
If XP, do you have SP2 and is it fully updated?

How deep is the path (how many folders/directories deep)?

SD card is in camera/camera dock or a card reader when copying?

What happens when you copy to a folder on your desktop first?

Can you bypass downloading the photos with your Kodak EasyShare software by using the SCANNERS AND CAMERAS control panel?

Collapse -
linkit...awnsers...
by tjpjrp36 / September 11, 2006 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: some questions

Hi, Thanks for the ?'s....
I have XP, & it is fully up to date.

The subdirectories are 4 deep... I have tried to save only to the external directory...in this case f:\, & yet still have them same problem.

I have tried the card in the camera (on the dock)
the SD card in the card reader.... copied the files to a disk & then tried to copy to the external drive. All have the same result.

Per your suggestion, I have tried to copy the files to a folder on the desktop & I still have the ame problem.

As far as bypassing goes, I have been trying to drag & drop the pictures & still have the same problems... it seams to be certain pictures....not sure why... it can be a picture taken seconds after ones that will copy, & can be different days, times... I can't seam to figure out what the comon thing with any of them.

I just don't get it, any more help would be great & Thanks Again

Collapse -
Update, of what I have so far....
by tjpjrp36 / September 11, 2006 2:19 PM PDT

OK, I have come up with this much....
I have got one card backed up onto the external drive...on my small SD card (128mb) I had 117 pictures... 104 copied with no problem.... however, I had to move a few @ a time, because tying to copy all files & then when a picture won't copy, it stops the whole download.... the 13 pictures that would not load, I had to slightly shrink down & then they saved with no problem.

The problem is it took much longer than usual, because I had to baby sit the computer & do only a few pict's @ a time, instead of before, when I could copy / paste & just walk away, coming back to it done.

Anyone that knows how I can fix this in the future, I would GREATLY Appreciate the info.
Thanks Again

Collapse -
path is too deep error
by linkit / September 11, 2006 7:57 PM PDT

I cleaned out a computer over the weekend that had a lot viruses and spyware.

There was almost 10GB of music on it that I took off. I transferred it from the the primary hard drive (XP-SP2, NTFS) to another internal HD (PATA, NTFS). When I tried to transfer a lot of the music files or a few large files via copy/paste or drag-n-drop, nothing happened (no transfer). I had to transfer them piecemeal, as you did.

I didn't research it at the time, but your problem has me iterested. I came across this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081
''Cause 4'' looks like it relates to the problem. If the pathname to the file is long and the filename itself is long, you could have the problem described.

Collapse -
Oh, and it wasn't just large files or...
by linkit / September 11, 2006 8:08 PM PDT
In reply to: path is too deep error

...large groups of files. I don't have access to that computer anymore to check the filename lengths and original pathnames, but I do recall that 3 files with very long pathnames couldn't be moved. Still researching....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.