Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Problems changing from SBS 4.5 domain to SBS 2003 domain

by hairymon / July 17, 2006 4:20 AM PDT

We are on the verge of migrating from Small Business Server 4.5 to Small Business Server 2003. The new server and accounts are all setup. Both servers (the old 4.5 and the new 2003) exist on the network with unique domain names for now so I can test without disrupting others.

To test if individual workstations get changed without problems, we want to be able to have the ability to log into either domain at signup. With the few Windows 98 SE computers we have left, this is easy, you can change the domain name and type in whatever you want at login and I can easily test them.

But with the Windows XP Pro computers, it is much more complicated it seems. At logon, you have the option of logging into ''ComputerName (this computer)'' where 'ComputerName' would be replaced with the name for the computer or to a single domain.

When I do the XP process of adding the computer to a new domain, after the reboot, I only have the option of ''this computer'' or the new domain, not the old domain anymore. So when my test is done, to have it re-link back to the old domain, I have to go through the whole process all over again.

Besides being a chore to go back and forth like this, it has proven a bit dangerous. On one computer I tried it on a couple of times, there eventually was an error generated when trying to connect to the new domain for a 2nd test. After that, the computer refused to log into anything (even into just itself, insisted on a password for Administrator even though one wasn't required for it before) and we eventually had to get the data off this computer's C: drive (we were able to) and then do a reformat/reinstall of Win XP since we couldn't log in. On another computer after doing this a couple of times, it wouldn't boot anymore because it said that HAL.DLL became corrupted. I was able to fix this with Recovery Console, but it was rather onerous.

So I have two questions:

1) Is there any way to make the XP computers so I can choose at logon one or the other domain?

2) Why would problems like the HAL.DLL issue occur? Is it bad to keep joining back and forth between 2 domains (we wouldn't do this once the new server is "live" but I don't want to just change all the workstations one night and if there are immediate unforeseen problems the next morning people can't work for awhile because it is long and problematic to "go back")?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems changing from SBS 4.5 domain to SBS 2003 domain
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems changing from SBS 4.5 domain to SBS 2003 domain
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 6:45 AM PDT

1. I'd try out netswitcher.com to see if that helps.

2. I'll write yes. Your posts seem to indicate you have a lot of home made machines.l You don't want to know how many I see the OS installed proper.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by hairymon / July 18, 2006 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.

I'll try netswitcher. Someone else I talked to recommended starting over using what's at sbsmigration.com as well. We'll see. Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.