General discussion

Problems Building Computer - Please Help

I finished assembling my new PC, plugged it in, turned it on and NOTHING. I re-verified that the recepticle was "live" and the PS was properly plugged in and turned on and that it was set to 115 Volts, then tried again. Still nothing... not even a tiny blink.

As recommended in the PS instructions, I began disconnecting each lead to the various components and trying again (presumable to determine if there was a short somewhere). I've not unplugged EVERYTHING from the PS, but still get no indication that the PS is functioning at all.

SHOULD a PS "power up" if none of its output leads are connected?

My PS is an OCZ 520W Modstream.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

- Pete

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Problems Building Computer - Please Help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problems Building Computer - Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Correction

Sorry... it's an OCZ 520W Powerstream Power Supply, not the Modstream.

- Pete

- Collapse -
It should power up. . .

or at least turn on the fans. If you get nothing, get a new one.

BTW, if you have a "short" you'll build a fire or at least let the smoke out. What you have is an open.

- Collapse -
I'll pursue it with OCZ

Thanks! I'll verify that the power cord is okay (can't imagine it's not), then pursue it with OCZ.

BTW, I mentioned the short because I saw somewhere that this PS has a "builtin safety shutoff" in case of shorts.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Fuse?
- Collapse -
When I assemble a new PC...

from all new components, I start small and work up. I will test the motherboard outside the case and on top of the box it came in. Install the CPU/HSF, pop in a video card and a stick of ram, then connect the PS for a test run. If nothing happens, at least I only have a few components to troubleshoot.

- Collapse -
Good Suggestion!

Since this is my first build, I definitely wish I had thought of your approach sooner... smiles. It feels overwhelming at this point since all the components are now in the case!

Thanks for the advice. I will try something similar even though the boards are physically installed.

- Pete

- Collapse -
PSU powerup...

in my case at least the psu wouldnt power up til i had things attatched. not sure which one triggered it but i think it was either the 4 prong connector or the cpu fan wire that let it start up. what board are you working with anyway. one thing that might be going on is the lack of ATX 12v 2.0x compatibility. looking at the company specs only the 600wt model is atx 2.01 compatable. most of the newer motherboards would probably take an atx 2.0x PSU. the antec that i bought was ATX 2.03 compatable so i had little trouble getting it to hook up to my msi board. i woulndt have had a clue about that save for someone mentioning it on here before i bought everything. so that's something to look into. with the 12v 2.0x series of PSU's the power on/off switch is routed through the motherboard, least as best i can tell it is. anyhow something to consider...

- Collapse -
Wow... I'm feeling out of my league

My motherboard is the ASUS A8N-SLI Delux. I did not pay attention to the level of ATX compatability.

I'll TRY reconnecting to the motherboard if the initial power-up (with nothing connected) doesn't work.

Whew... this is getting complex!

Thanks!!!

- Pete

- Collapse -
nice board...

SLI and everything...

but yea i think that is the main problem. the on/off switch is actually wired through the board and not independent of it. the main connector should be pretty obvious how to connect it. the square 4-prong reciever on the upper left hand side is also part of it. i cant tell from newegg's image but the connector for the cpu fan should be right at the top of the board and just to the right of the CPU socket.

but yea i might ahve made the same mistake save for posting here at cnet first. i had a long discussion with people on what would work, what to avoid, this thing included.

and yea it can be complicated; which is why it took me more time to research everything than it did to build it. i build the machine in basically a day or 2 tops as i assembled what i could as i could, but i spent several months researching and looking at this and that before hand.

btw, sry it took so long for me to reply. forgot about the thread. hehe; oops...

best of luck...

- Collapse -
Problems Building Computer - Please Help

CNET Forums

Forum Info