Computer Help forum

General discussion

problems....

by caveney / August 3, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

I am having problems with two computers on our home network.

The first one is an internet issue, I think, when my daughter logs onto the internet the hour glass next to the cursor does not go away and her background blinks on and off. You have to click when it is "on" or it does not work. She has a newer gateway, running win XP.

The other computer (other daughter) for some reason I cannot install the printer information for her to share our printer on the main computer. The printer was deleted in error and now I cannot seem to reinstall (even with disc) She has a new Dell with Win XP. Also cannot play games on internet, says Java is not enabled, but I have checked and it is.

Help would be greatly appreciated, if possible. If not, time to call my computer guy.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Some areas to check.
by Stan Chambers / August 3, 2004 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: problems....

The presence of the hourglass indicates that the page has not fully loaded. This can happen when cookies are disabled under the security setting in your browser or firewall.
As for the printer, if a USB printer, be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Driver installation must follow a particular routine, on some, to be successful.

Collapse -
Re: problems....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: problems....

caveney,

You really haven't listed the things you have tried with either of these computers but here are some suggestions to get you started:

1. First, the daughter's computer with internet problems. Is this a dial-up connection, DSL, Cable, something else? In the meantime, make sure you visit Gateway's site, or the manufacturer's site and install the most recent video, audio, modem and ethernet drivers for that computer. Next, download, install, update, then run the free spyware removal tools from the links below. Delete all spyware that they detect:

Ad-Aware 6 Spyware Removal Tool

?Spybot Search & Destroy? Spyware Removal Tool

CWShredder Hijack Removal Tool

Next, follow the procedures in the links below to shut down unnecessary start up programs and clean out the junk files from the hard drive:

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

2. Next, the other daughter's printer issue. Many newer printers require that you uninstall the printer software FIRST, then remove the printer from the "Printers" folder when deleting a printer. Which make and model of printer are you having problems with? Your best approach now would be to open the Control Panel, double click on the "Add/Remove Programs" icon, then uninstall the printer software, if it's listed there, then reinstall the software from the printer manufacturer's site or from the CD. If it's not there, usually the printer manufacturer's website has newer printer updates that can be downloaded and installed. It might overwrite the old stuff and get thing running.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?