Samsung forum

General discussion

Problematic Samsung HL56A650 DLP HDTV

by henryhahn / February 6, 2011 4:56 AM PST

Well, I am posting here because it seems these forums are moderated by people that know what their talking about, and frequented by others that seem to have similar problems...Please help!
The story so far:
I bought my Samsung HL56A650 DLP HDTV December of '08. This was a MAJOR purchase for me. I work 2 jobs full time and other odd jobs. My wife had the good heart to allow us to finance this mammoth knowing how much I would appreciate it.

The first sign of trouble...
January of '10 the tv makes a weird noise, I hear some kind of pop, it cycles on and off and makes some more God awful noises and then I get 3 blinking lights. I call Samsung and they tell me it sounds like the light bulb died. I thought it was terribly short-lived, but being one month out of warranty, I am S.O.L. and I call the distributor for a new bulb. The new bulb arrived and I allowed 48 hours out of the box and sitting before powering it up because I did not know what temperatures it had been exposed to and did not want to heat it up and have a problem with condensation or anything. Voila, it worked again! Not too happy, but what are you going to do, but hope this one lasts longer.

And then 4 months later...
The problem strikes again! I first call the distributor to tell them they must have sent me a bad bulb and they inform me that they only cover the bulb for 3 months. If I popped the bulb in the second that it arrived and played my tv from then until now, it should still be working!!! They direct me to Samsung saying it must be something else. So, I call Samsung and they assign me a technician to come out and repair, (still at my cost). The technician comes in, claims that the housing that the distributor sent me is not a samsung housing, changes the bulb, and hands me a bill. Now I am out the cost of 2 bulbs + labor and NO ONE is willing to admit they are wrong and reimburse me anything. Samsung claims it must have been a bad bulb. Distributor claims it is something else causing the problem.

60 days later...
Oh yes, didn't get very far on this bulb! Same problem. I cal Samsung, and now they say they'll renew my warranty and send a tech out at their cost. I tell them at this point we can agree it is not just a bulb right? And they claim they'll definitely send a tech out with more than just a bulb. I am unable to be home when the tech comes. He comes in, changes the bulb, and leaves. I am fuming! This time, the girl from Samsung says if it breaks again they'll give me a new tv, so I just let it drop after a few nasty phone calls.

And then it breaks again...
Guess what? The tv doesn't work AGAIN! Samsung says they can see that I was offered a new tv, but that girl was not allowed to offer such things and has since been let go. I say at least give me a different repair company, and there is none other in my area. At this point I have been to a bunch of forums and have read about countless similar problems. Samsung again extends my warranty. With this new-found knowledge I ask that the tech comes with a new ballast, color wheel, and power supply to which I have to wait an UNBELIEVABLE amount of time for him to procure and then set up an appointment. He comes, changes the bulb and tries to leave. I tell him no way is he leaving and that this is more than just a light bulb. I call Samsung and dance around their cs lines waiting for a representative. The guy finally ducks out, and I speak to someone there who tells me that if the tv is working, they can't send someone out til it breaks again.

And then again...
Yep, still burning through bulbs, though this one lasted longer than 60 days. I missed one other repair there, but I don't care to go back and figure out where. I am on bulb #6 at this point, with the same repair company coming. I am out about $500 on repairs from my own pocket plus days I had to take off from work to be there for the repairman. I am at my wit's end, but with so much time and money invested, I have no choice but to continue this dance. No one will take ownership. The distibutor claims there are no problems with the bulbs. Samsung will not replace the tv and accept that this is some kind of lemon. The repair company will do nothing more than swap the bulb and tell me they have "visually inspected" the rest of the components. Because the tv works with a new bulb, that must have been the problem.

So, I look to you all for advice. My tv exhibits the following problems:
It makes a low humming sound intermittenly
It obviously burns through bulbs like a teenager changes their underwear
When the bulb does die, I have a cycling of on and off and some whirring noise.

Any and all reasonable suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problematic Samsung HL56A650 DLP HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problematic Samsung HL56A650 DLP HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2011 7:06 AM PST

henryhahn,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your DLP TV.

Unfortunately, many of the service techs have one advantage over me - they can look inside your unit, and I'm unable to. I'm not sure if the noise is caused by a board, the color wheel or any number of variables.

When the light goes out, have you tried re-seating the lamp? If you pull it out and push it back in (after undoing the housing and the screw that connects the lamp to the engine), sometimes that helps reset the lamp and gets the unit working again. I can't explain a bout of bad lamps, although I would tend to agree that you're going through them at a relatively quick pace.

I'm not sure who the distributor is, but just like anything else, there can be cheap parts, and good parts, and then authorized parts. I have no idea which would be which. I do know that www.samsungparts.com sells the lamps that are authorized - I'm not sure if that helps or not, but that's one option.

Do you have any service ticket numbers from your service transactions? If so, please post them here. I'll see if I can have someone review the case. While I can't make any promises (since it did last the warranty period), I'll see if there's something that can be done - no harm in asking, anyway. Those service numbers would allow someone to access your records with Samsung.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by henryhahn / February 7, 2011 8:44 AM PST

Wow thank you so much for the speedy response.
My current ticket number is 4007861270
I am unsure what the others were, but I might be able to dig them up.
I have tried reseating the lamps, but they are indeed burnt out each time.
I ordered my parts through samsung.com which uses J&J international. It was my understanding that samsung uses j&j as well, so I don't know how much more reputable I can get.
Thanks again and any help would be appreciated!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2011 1:38 PM PST

henryhahn,

J&J's is our parts people, so I'd call that reputable. No argument here.

I've sent your transaction up this morning. I'll see if someone can review your case.

When you say they burn out, do you mean that you can see a burnt filament inside? Or does the glass housing disconnect? Can you give me any detail on what you've seen on those lamps?

In the meantime, I do apologize that you've had a hard time with this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by henryhahn / February 7, 2011 7:07 PM PST

By burn out I am referring to the smell. The bulb itself emits a burnt smell. I have tried reseating the bulb/housing because I am in disbelief each time one goes. When they put the new bulb in, it immediately works, which is why I assume the bulb is prematurely used up.
I am incredibly grateful that you have sent my case up for review! When you looked up my ticket number were you able to see all the past calls as well?

Collapse -
by henryhahn / February 7, 2011 10:28 PM PST

I again wanted to reiterate my thanks for your involvement in my case. This is the first time that I feel I am actually being listened to. I have been pretty beat up throughout this process, and had posted this out of sheer desperation. As I have already stated, this was a major purchase for me. One that I had to finance over a year in order to afford.

When it works, I love my tv. It has an amazing picture and the sound quality is excellent.

Is there any way for me to pm you rather than spill more of my pride on this public forum?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 8, 2011 4:51 AM PST

henryhahn,

No pride spilling needed. Happy I don't have PM or contact outside of the forum for transparency reasons, but your kind words are appreciated, and more than sufficient - at least until we get a resolution or an answer back.

I can't view service tickets, but I've sent them to a manager who can, and typically, they will contact you before even I get the information. If you don't hear back by tomorrow, let me know and I'll follow-up. (It's a different office, so I can't just jump desks or travel "a floor down", unfortunately)

I do apologize for the experience.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by henryhahn / February 9, 2011 6:49 AM PST

No call today. It is 10 of 6pm my time. I'm not sure what time it is where the office is.

Collapse -
by henryhahn / February 9, 2011 10:10 PM PST

I received no call

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2011 4:59 AM PST

henryhahn,

Okay, checking into this. Sorry for the delay.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2011 5:19 AM PST

henryhahn,

I don't have any specific details on the case, but from what I've been told, the warranty was extended for a service repair call. For all the details, you'd have to call the 800-SAMSUNG number, but it appears that you get a repair.

The repair center notes say that they were attempting to contact you (not sure if they might have the wrong number?). If you'd like to contact them, the name of the company for your service is NISI-NJ, Inc. and the phone number is 973-513-9076. They should be able to look you up with your name and or transaction number.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Yet Again
by henryhahn / May 6, 2011 8:46 PM PDT

Hello,
Because you had tried to help me in the past, I am hoping you would be willing to again. It has happened once again... The last repair replaced the bulb, the ballast, and the power board. Once again, the TV has the same problem. I have read on other sites that seems to be a known issue with this specific model at 56". The technician who came again to repair it for the 6th time also confirmed that. Please help if you can!
My current ticket number is 4008227264

Collapse -
Yet Again
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 10, 2011 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Yet Again

henryhahn,

Collapse -
I have this exact same problem.
by ladycody / August 19, 2011 10:41 AM PDT

We have this exact same problem and just blew another bulb today! This will be our fifth bulb in two years and we're always JUST past warranty on whatever it is we're dealing with (first the TV...and then every bulb since then has lasted just long enough to not qualify for warranty replacement). This is our second Samsung and while we really liked the first one we had...it will be our last. There's realistically no way to get satisfaction on this product without getting a new TV from Samsung and while it would be nice...we know it's not going to happen. We'll be switching back to Sony products when we next upgrade our television...but for right now, a new TV is not affordable so replacing the bulbs is our only option.

Collapse -
Sorry
by henryhahn / September 3, 2011 6:03 AM PDT

Sorry I missed your post....

Collapse -
help!!!hey henryhahn
by CAMARO1997LT1 / September 2, 2011 11:56 AM PDT

hey boss, im having the exact same problem with my 56in tv. same model. im tired of replacing the bulb every two months...did you finaaly fix your problem? if so please!!! let me know. my tv is only 2 years old. any advice that doesnt involve me beating the damn tv with my louisville slugger

Collapse -
My Solution
by henryhahn / September 3, 2011 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: help!!!hey henryhahn

After all the repairs, it broke again. The last repair, they replaced everything! It lasted a little longer, but it did indeed break again. I scoured the Internet and found that even those with the knowledge and capabilities to repair the tv themselves were baffled. It seems there is some type of electrical problem that is caused by the components that leads to the bulbs burning out prematurely. The tech who came the last time had said something to this effect, and that it was a known problem, but Lord knows I learned not to rely on what he says...
With head in hand, I called Samsung again. This time, they offered me a trade. It was not going to be free, but it was discounted in comparison to the retail prices. After weighing all the options, I decided to take another loan and trade up. I went with a 55" led/lcd tv.
You would think all the problems would have made me lose my love for all things samsung...but alas it hasn't. In light of it all, they tried to stand behind their product. I did put a lot out on bulbs, but they put out a lot on techs thereafter. Each time I was just under or just over the warranty, but Samsung did try to make things right. I miss my dlp, but the new tv has a few perks that make it fun.
My advice would be to call Samsung with a history of all the repairs that you have made, and look into the threads where they talk about this problem. It can't be fixed permanently, but Samsung seems to want to make it right. The trade up will be expensive, but honestly seems like the only option...well, that or burning through thousands on bulbs....

Collapse -
oh well
by ladycody / September 3, 2011 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: My Solution

My guess is that there is no fix. While not a solution...we using a fan to keep the bulb housing cool has gotten us up to 6 months. Still not great...but a couple of hundred a year in bulbs is more feasible for us right now than replacement...so I guess we'll stick with that.

Collapse -
hey boss
by CAMARO1997LT1 / September 8, 2011 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: My Solution

i have been in contact with samsung for a few nights now and theyve extended my warranty for 90 days. hopefully ill have better luck with my tv even though i doubt it given all the infor i have researche on the internet on this model tv. the only thing i do hope for is that if the tv is going to go out again, it does with in the 90 days extended warranty. you say samsung offered you a trade up but not for free...can you give details on this as i think im going to have to do the same thing. any other way we can communicate for faster responces?thanks boss

Collapse -
hey
by henryhahn / September 10, 2011 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: hey boss

I cannot find a way to pm you my email address. If you can find a way to get me yours, that would indeed be quicker. I went through a lot of extensions, and then finally they offered the trade. Honestly, I think it just matters as to which executive customer service agent you get. Some people claim they got the offer after fewer repairs than I had.

Collapse -
henryhahn
by CAMARO1997LT1 / September 11, 2011 9:09 AM PDT

username on here CNET + @yahoo.com

Collapse -
Seems to be going viral ;)
by Hw00d / October 11, 2011 6:45 AM PDT

I guess I should be relieved now after all the reading. I thought this was just me. I too have this problem, although not the owner, I am the poor SOB who has to service this thing. Same model, bulb number 3 (within 7 months) is on the way, I got lucky and bulb is still under 90 day warranty (current one lasted 86 days, talk about cutting it close). Funny story, when I got assigned to it, I was trying to find the bulb part, and called the RTO place I service for to get the numbers, which they give me the wrong ones which drove me crazy because it a was a mitsubishi rear project (last 1 they made), so I'm telling the manager there is NO BULB for this tv, which he reply's, "Ya there is, I put one in 4 months ago". Well my 1st thought was dang bulb should last longer than that?? So I finally get the proper tv and order a bulb and put it in, TV looks great, problem solved right? Knowing that this thing just had a bulb in it, I carefully inspected airflows and fan and all was good, but took the air compressor to it anyway. Well here it is 86 days later and I get a call.......lol
I'm thinking either its a current spike issue, or maybe the fan could be too slow???
-my 2¢ Peas out,

~Hw00d@MJ

Collapse -
same exact problem
by hynzerelli / November 23, 2012 2:18 PM PST

Bought the 56' HL56A650 DLP HDTV in Oct 08 in Dec 2010 original bulb burned out. The second one lasted until Jan 2012 by the first week of march it burns out. Being the bulbs/lamps cost $140 I was happy the distributor replaced it for free. It just burned out yesterday right after my Thanksgiving dinner guests left & the football game ended, thank god. I'm presently researching 50-55 inch LCD's but planning on buying bulb/lamp & putting TV in bed room luckily I don't watch that much TV in there. The DLP/LED bulb/lamp bit seems to me to be a more profitable racket than the TV sales.

Collapse -
Terrible Model
by Dmacc502 / December 8, 2013 11:36 PM PST

I have a five year old DLP that is going in the dumpster. I replace my bulb every 9-11 months. The last time was 3 months ago, it went out again. I will never buy Samsung again.

Collapse -
DLP - Free
by oldhenry1964 / December 29, 2013 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Terrible Model

I've experienced the same situation with my 50" DLP, ready to trash it as well! Replaced 3 bulbs, and not coming on at all now! any suggestions, maybe give the darn thing away?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!