Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problem With Zone Alarm

Hi People,
I have used Zone Alarm for many years now, and never had this problem with it:
I erased and started over with Windows XP Home SP2 (I just wanted a fresh start the machine will be 3 years old next month). It is an Insignia D400A, Intel 2.8 GHz processor, 1 GIG RAM. I have installed all the Windows updates, all the drivers for the hardware.
I use Mozilla Firefox for my internet browser. Now, at night when I go to sleep both browsers Mozilla and Internet Explorer 7.0 will not have access to the internet when I wake up. My Outlook does as I have sent and received emails when this happens. My Trillion instant messenger program works. Very strange problem. I have checked the settings in Zone Alarm & Automatic Lock is turned off. This problem would make a little more sense to me if my Outlook and Trillion couldn't access the internet when this happens to my browsers. I have even gone to an earlier version of Zone Alarm and still the problem happens.
Does anyone have any ideas why this happens?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem With Zone Alarm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem With Zone Alarm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a clue.

In reply to: Problem With Zone Alarm

Sorry, it just works fine here. Why not try some other firewall?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Do you have any recommedations?

In reply to: Not a clue.

Collapse -
Sorry, no.

In reply to: Do you have any recommedations?

While I do know many are having issues with IE 7, I don't have any issue with ZA on any machine at home or office. I also don't have this issue on any machine I've encountered unless the owner was a P2P user and the winsock was hijacked or there are pests.

What have I said here? I don't think this is a ZA issue. But you may think it is so I suggest you try something else.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok...

In reply to: Sorry, no.

I haven't used a P2P on this system yet. But I will run Lavasoft Adaware, my CA antivirus, CCleaner, Windows Defender, and SpyBot Search and Destroy tonight when I get home. I might also dig up Rootkit reveal and check those things out.
Thanks for the lead Bob.

Collapse -
Scanned the system and it is clean...

In reply to: Sorry, no.

thanks though for you help, I do appreciate it.

Collapse -
So other firewalls work fine?

In reply to: Scanned the system and it is clean...

That's the acid test here. As to which, the Security Forum has such discussions weekly it seems.

Bob

Collapse -
Windows Firewall

In reply to: So other firewalls work fine?

Is the only other firewall I have tried. I am in the process of going through my tasks one by one...using google and that task list page: http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
to see if I find something there. So far I found one thing - this program that runs if you use Windows Firewall, but if you use a 3rd party it shouldn't be running. Well, it was running. But I am still going through the list. Happy

Collapse -
Make it simple

In reply to: Windows Firewall

Collapse -
Thanks for the link

In reply to: Make it simple

Made it easy to check things out. Happy

Collapse -
Zone Alarm

In reply to: Problem With Zone Alarm

What version of Zone Alarm are you using?
I have
ZoneAlarm version:6.5.737.000
TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
Driver version:6.5.737.000

Have had no trouble with it until I in-advisedly rightclicked in systems tray/overview/your trial has ended/buy zone alarm and found myself with the pro version trial (15 days) which I could not handle at all, so rolled back to the above version with again no problems.
The pro version was not for me, too invasive with passwords, browser input etc. That info at the bottom of the free version in overview is a trap for learners like me.

Collapse -
Both versions

In reply to: Zone Alarm

First I was using the same one you are, and then I uninstalled it, and installed version 6.1. something...(I am at work now not at my home machine). Both installs are giving me the same problem.

Collapse -
ZA Version 7 From Maj.Geeks was Beta w/Problems.....

In reply to: Both versions

likely not Version you ,have but felt worth mentioning:

From Zone Alarm Site: Moderators warning:

Hi Everyone,

We are officially done with BETA 7. It will be released on our website late Monday. Even though it can be found on MajorGeeks.com, PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD, as it is NOT OFFICIAL. The version could change at any time because
of major bugs.

Thank you all for your time.

SlyFox

Good Luck! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.