Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem with Zip drive discs

I had a Zip drive die, and purchased another so I could get the info off the discs that I have. I have taken it off all but four discs. These discs seem to make a noise like they are trying to start up, but don't. All four of them are either Excel or Word. I have a Dell 8400 system with Windows XP, Home Edition, Service Pack 2. I hope that someone can help me get this info off the discs. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Zip drive discs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Zip drive discs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Once you reach this point ,send the disks out for recovery

In reply to: Problem with Zip drive discs

The usuals like drivesavers. There's a lesson here about backup.

Collapse -
Please elaborate

In reply to: Once you reach this point ,send the disks out for recovery

Please elaborate on what you said. And, where do you send them for recovery? Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) I'd try drivesavers.com

In reply to: Please elaborate

Collapse -
Drivesavers.com

In reply to: I'd try drivesavers.com

Have you ever tried Drivesavers.com? They want $600 to $800 per disk to get the information off them. I'm afraid I don't want to spend that much on it. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: Drivesavers.com

The most costly recovery was for some medical data. Since you don't want to ask people to do over the tests the cost was about 24,000 and worth every dime. Smaller jobs like yours cost a lot less.

-> It's all about how much its worth. Some may not like it but backups are here to stay it seems.
Bob

Collapse -
Backup

In reply to: Once you reach this point ,send the disks out for recovery

You said there is a message here about backup. That's what these discs were for. I backed up everything to them. I guess I needed more than two backups for everything. Thanks about Drivesavers.com. I will try them.

Collapse -
If we reduce the numbers of copies of our files to just one.

In reply to: Backup

Then where is the backup? Sorry that its come down to this issue but backup means more than one copy to go get.
Bob

Collapse -
Old Cnet article

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-207628.html?legacy=cn

from 10 years ago. This was a well known problem and even brought class action suit against Iomega. It's possible that, given enough drives at your disposal, you could find one that would read from old and worn out disks. Otherwise, a trip to professional recovery services is an option.
Collapse -
Click of Death, I solved. . .

I found that if I inserted the disks very slowly there was no failure. Inserting them like you do a floppy is not the way to do it. Do it slowly.

Collapse -
It was worth a try

In reply to: Click of Death, I solved. . .

but, it didn't work. Thanks anyway.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.