Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problem with Windows Explorer shortcut to folder view

In Windows Exporer, I select a folder and using the right click context menu, send a shortcut to my desktop. When I double click on the shortcut icon it should open the My Computer folder view window. But in my case it opens the Search Results window instead of the folders view window. It used to work but now it doesn't. What do I need to do to fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Windows Explorer shortcut to folder view
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Windows Explorer shortcut to folder view
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just links about this common problem.

In reply to: Problem with Windows Explorer shortcut to folder view

Collapse -
Re: Problem with Windows Explorer shortcut to folder view

Collapse -
Solution to "Problem with windows explorer short cut to fold

A solution for this problem is covered in an article by Scott Dunn - PCWorld.com - Windows Tips: A simple fix for window... It was in the August 2005 issue of PC World magazine.
If you are unable to find it, this is the solution. I had the same problem. It is a bug in Windows Edit File type dialog box. Confirmed by Microsoft.
Run regedit. In the tree pane on the left, scroll all the way to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell if the problem occurs when you double-click folder icons - or to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell if it happens when you double-click drive icons. With the shell icon selected in the left pane, double-click the default icon in the right pane. In the Value data box, type none and click OK then exit the registry. Back up the registry before you start. This solution will solve the problem.
Basoc

Collapse -
(NT) Will Microsoft be correcting this bug?

In reply to: Solution to "Problem with windows explorer short cut to fold

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.