Laptops forum

General discussion

Problem with wife's Lenovo T61 w/XP Pro

by Steven Haninger / July 3, 2009 3:58 AM PDT

While prepping the laptop for a larger hard drive, I found that the current drive (Seagate 100 gig SATA I) was not visible in Disk Management. The CD ROM device was there. In further troubleshooting I find that no USB external hard drive partition will show in disk management but USB CD ROM devices will. The hard drive shows in device manager and explorer just fine. With the exception of an an occasion shut down issue, the laptop appears to be working normally. In attempting to run a few diagnostics, I find that the Lenovo "Disk Doctor" shows no problems with the hard drive but, I cannot schedule chkdsk /f. It reboots normally without running the program. sfc /scannow runs and shows no errors. I also noted that no system restore points were being made though system restore was enabled. I disabled/re-enabled system restore and it seems to be ok now. I've also re-enabled all default services but no luck. I cannot run defrag as well. I've not yet gone the repair installation as what we have is the recovery media burned when we first got the laptop. I'm not wanting to risk making matters worse at the moment. I've made an Acronis image of the drive in its current condition in case this happens.
As I said, the laptop seems to run ok. I don't want to clone the old hard drive with problems on it, however. Any thoughts as to why no chkdks /f or the disk showing either of it's partitions in disk management?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with wife's Lenovo T61 w/XP Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with wife's Lenovo T61 w/XP Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So the problem
by deniceels / July 4, 2009 5:39 PM PDT

is the laptop not seeing the external usb harddisk? Insufficient power could be the cause of the 'disappearing' act. Try removing the external USB optical drive and leaving only the ext harddisk plugged in.

Collapse -
No...it's any hard drive partition
by Steven Haninger / July 4, 2009 8:08 PM PDT
In reply to: So the problem
including external (USB) as I noted in my initial post. It shows the internal CD ROM and will show a USB CD ROM. It won't show a USB flash drive. I posted this in the XP forum later on. At this point, I'm down to trying a full repair installation. I don't want to do a full recovery as it's not my laptop and is otherwise working. I'm suspecting a corrupt registry as one other thing of note was that I could not bring up the command window using the "command"...only "cmd" as it generated some sort of 16 bit error. I was able to find a registry edit that fixed this so I know something did damage the registry. Thanks for the reply.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?