Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problem With USB Support for Windows 95 OSR 2

I have been trying to install USB support to my computer running Windows 95 OSR 2 (4.00.1111) for using my ColorPage Vivid III V2 scanner. I found out that I needed an upgrade patch called USB Supplement that consisted of two executables and an instruction (readme) file. I did everything according to the instruction, and got the USB in my Device Manager, but it was marked with a question mark as a device with a missing driver. When I tried to install the driver by clicking on the "Install Driver" button and letting it search for it, it did not work at first. I also tried a search on the Internet for such drivers but there was no relevant result. I installed the program for a scanner (from the original CD) but of course it failed to work saying the scanner is not found. Next time I tried to install the driver, the program asked for the file "uhcd.sys" but it was missing in my install package. I searched for it online trying to download it but got no result either. In some time after I rebooted, the device manager, to my surprise, was showing the Universal Serial Bus Controller thread as active/working, with a single "USB Root Hub" branch, but even with a working icon (not a question mark) the Properties tab shows that the driver was not properly installed.

I was advised to download a driver compliant with my motherboard. My chipset is VIA-0691 (as shown by testing software) and I have been looking for the driver. I visited the VIA website and downloaded a driver but it is incompatible with Windows 95. Actually, I have enabled USB support by patching the system (instead of 4.00.1111 the testing program now shows it already as 4.03.1214b) and now I only need a driver but there don't seem to be any that I could easily find online. Do you know any place where I could get one to resolve my case?

P.S. Please do not advise upgrading to Windows 98 or higher Happy))

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem With USB Support for Windows 95 OSR 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem With USB Support for Windows 95 OSR 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No. You may never see that work again.

In reply to: Problem With USB Support for Windows 95 OSR 2

USB install for 95 was just too flighty.

Try http://www.usbman.com and in closing, let's never speak of 95 again? OK?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Problem With USB Support for Windows 95 OSR 2

Let me just note that on my old Compaq Presario 2240 it came pre-installed and working well enough for supporting an HP 4100C scanner (as in the HP specs). But I don't take chances with a modern USB printer or a USB mouse.

I'm afraid you're totally on your own, with little or no support from the maker of your motherboard, the USB card, Microsoft or the maker of the Colorpage scanner.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Problem With USB Support for Windows 95 OSR 2

USB support for Win95 can be enabled from the original CD. I was using a USB Webcam of Logitech for quite some time on Win95. The problem is that very few devices have drivers for Win95. You could try your luck with www.drivers.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.