Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem with updates and programs running but not seen

by Dango517 / February 4, 2010 10:04 PM PST

I'm having and have had problems with scans and updates running behind the scenes that are slowing my PC way down. Updates are a particular problem because the cause hangs and lagginess on my PC without showing up in "task manager" or so it seems. Often these updates are not identified so I need to hunt them down to find out which one is causing the problem before downloading the software. Without running the task manager all the time, how can I identify these when they are functioning or calling for updates? Any "small" applications, gadgets out there on the Internet that might show these in real time? Something maybe for the desktop or browser.

OS Window 7 Home Premium

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with updates and programs running but not seen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with updates and programs running but not seen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just Windows Updates
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 1:47 AM PST

or updates for other installed applications as well?

If it is just Windows Updates, then goto Windows Updates in the Control Panel and change they way they are downloaded. Mine is set to notify me when they are available, then I get to choose when to download and install them.

Updates for applications are more of a problem. You have to identify those applications first and then dig down into their options to turn off their automatic update checking. No easy job with, for example, Adobe products. I haven't yet found a way to turn that off.

Mark

Collapse -
This one ..........
by Dango517 / February 6, 2010 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Just Windows Updates

"Updates for installed applications are more of a problem. "

Java, Adobe, HP to name a few and others, really it's across the board, some being more of a problem then others. Windows up dates sometimes do not load at all unless done manually on this PC but do not block the operation of the PC for the most part. The only way I know they are running at all is because my PC is well maintained, on a poorly maintained PC it would be very hard to find out where the problem was a program (scans) or applications attempting to check for and download updates. I was aware of this in Vista and XP but it is more obvious in Window 7 it was a nuisance in XP and vista but becoming a problem in Windows 7.

What this needs is an application of some monitor and to notify the user an access is being made to the Internet by a program but not the task manager. A gadget would do. An application is a work around for this but the problem is in the way this is being done by 7 and the other MS$ OS's. the OS needs a pop up to let the user know anytime this happens. regardless of the program.

Collapse -
an application of some monitor and to notify the use...
by Brechan / February 6, 2010 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: This one ..........

there are alot of free programs on the net that will both monitor and advise the user of applications trying to access your computer.
One is called PC Tools Firewall Plus; I use it all the time, and it always notifies me of any (wanted or unwanted) activity trying to access my computer.
http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials.
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Collapse -
Thanks but ..........
by Dango517 / February 6, 2010 3:47 AM PST

I have anti virus and a firewall. It's just that the firewall is not letting me know what accessing the PC as it happens. Because it isn't, it appears the PC is running badly when in fact it's not, it's just running something in the background or attempting to download an update. Both the firewall and antivirus work fine I would just like to know they're doing it.

Collapse -
I have anti virus and a firewall...
by Brechan / February 6, 2010 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks but ..........

My intent wasn't to convey that you were not running without these 2 security features; I'm merely stating that there are programs out there that not only block incoming applications, they notify you when they do it.

Collapse -
Ah, OK.
by Dango517 / February 6, 2010 5:27 AM PST

Got it! I'll look it over soon, now I need to bring that new modem on line so this will need to wait. Thanks though, does to seem to be a firewall issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?