Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Problem with Toshiba Gigabeat's battery? please help...

by xlarryx1 / March 2, 2007 9:40 AM PST

Okay, I ordered a Toshiba Gigabeat S 30 off Amazon.com and loved it. The only problem was that I was strangely getting about 4 hours of battery life for audio.

So I exchanged for another one. I've only been using it for music for roughly 3 hours and the battery says its half way dead! This shouldn't be at all.

Toshiba says the battery should last 12 hours for audio. This is really starting to bug me. I don't want to keep getting my Gigabeat replaced.

So any comments, suggest, word of wisdom? Does anyone else have the same problem. Is the Gigabeat just like this? Please let me know what I should do guys. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Toshiba Gigabeat's battery? please help...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Toshiba Gigabeat's battery? please help...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From memory...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 11:26 AM PST

I remember someone doing tests where the content was MP3, WMA, Wav or other. They found that some encoding resulted in more battery time. Also they could stretch time by dimming the display and shutting it off asap.

Bob

Collapse -
That's one of the reasons I didn't get one
by Tallcoolone / March 2, 2007 1:58 PM PST

Last time I checked the mygigabeat.com forum, it seemed like practically everyone was having this problem.

For more info, I'd check there. http://www.mygigabeat.com/

Collapse -
by xlarryx1 / March 2, 2007 9:55 PM PST

thank you

Collapse -
lame battery
by JBW72 / March 4, 2007 5:08 AM PST

I have the 60gb Gigabeat S which Toshiba claims has 12 hours of battery life. The most I've ever gotten out it was 8 hours. I have a bad case of buyers remorse with this thing. The battery life is just one of many problems.

Collapse -
Toshiba gigabeat battery problem
by lp067 / March 7, 2007 12:23 PM PST

I am having the same problem! I purchased mine from a camera/electronics store through Amazon. I figured out after a few days of use that I was only getting 2 hrs. max with audio alone. I emailed customer svc. and told them it was a problem; they gave me an RMA right away. Meanwhile, while packing it up, I came across a notice from Toshiba in the box saying that I should contact them if there was a problem; not send it back to the merchant. I called them, and they said it's a defective battery, and if I sent it to them, they would replace the battery. I chose to send it back to the merchant, but was impressed that I was able to get a response from Toshiba so easily; that was a nightmare with Creative, when the Zen micro suddenly froze. The merchant replaced it immediately with a brand new one. That was this week. I was very optimistic at first; I charged it for 2.5 hours, transferred my music, and gave it a go. Imagine my dismay when after a couple of hours of on and off use, I got the low battery msg. This time, I gave it a good charge overnight, and have been tracking my use. I am probably at about 4 hours over a couple of days now, and while I haven't gotten the msg. yet, the battery symbol is looking low. I keep the display off, and have not watched any video, so I'm very discouraged. I hate to go back to Creative, as their customer svc. is horrible, and after a year, it seems inevitable that they crash and burn. I don't want an iPod, for several reasons. Thankfully, I purchased a 1 yr. service plan...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!