Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Problem with Thumbnail view

Hi,
I have windows 2000 SP4 installed. I have some AV clips in .asf format in a folder. When I enable thumbnails view option for that folder I see Windows Media Player icon for all clips. In my other laptop with Win XP the thumbnails show the first frame of each clip making it easier to identify each. Is this a Windows 2000 limitation or Windows Media Player 9 problem or am I missing some configuration setting somewhere? Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Oniket

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Thumbnail view
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Thumbnail view
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Plugging

In reply to: Problem with Thumbnail view

In WMP goto options and then plugins - you will see "look for plugins on the internet" follow this link. ASF format is a newer format so may not be included with your win2000 WMP version.
Also get the windows Tweak MVP plugin (if there is one for win200 version!)
Peter

Collapse -
Re: Plugging

In reply to: Plugging

Thanks for the help. I checked the plugin page. There are too many of them and I amnot sure which I need for the specific problem I am having. Can you help me pinpoint the ones I need. Seems like most of the plug-ins are for XP. Thanks in advance

Oniket

Collapse -
I am afraid

In reply to: Re: Plugging

asf and other movie file thumbnails I am pretty sure (now I have thought about it) were introduce with XP so its not WMP but XP that does the viewing. I looked at my win98/wmp9 and there are no previews.
By-the-way do u have wmp10 for your XP system!
Peter

Collapse -
I am afraid New!

In reply to: I am afraid

Ok. I see the problem. I have WIN 2000 installed (I did mention in my original message). WMP 10 is only available for XP. So I am stuck with WMP 9. Thats too bad. When will MS release WMP 10 for Win2K as well?

Thanks
Oniket

Collapse -
Not sure

In reply to: I am afraid New!

Or more to the point I dont know. You could spend hours looking the Microsoft site or ring then up - but as I said I dont think this will solve the thumbnail issue (but dont quote me!) - as the thumbnail plugin for asf files is part of the operating system (ie XP)and not WMP. If you want to view asf files try this free program "IrfanView"
http://www.irfanview.com/
Make sure you download the plugins as well.
Another larger program is "Ulead Photo Explorer"
http://www.ulead.com/pex/trial.htm

Hope this helps
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.