Computer Help forum

Question

Problem with the network card

by qlturka / September 28, 2014 1:02 AM PDT

Hello :),
I've been fighting with my network card for two days now and thought that maybe I could get some help here.

The problem is, after opening the device manager window and choosing "network cards" all I can see is "Marvell Yukon ... Ethernet Controller". And I need a card for wireless connection.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with the network card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with the network card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So why not add one?
by Jimmy Greystone / September 28, 2014 1:38 AM PDT

So why not add one? You can't magically turn a wired ethernet card/port into a wireless one, you need either a wireless add-in card for your system or a wireless ethernet bridge device. If you've got a laptop your cheapest solution will likely be one of the many USB wireless devices, but if it's a desktop you have the option of a PCIe card which will have better range and overall performance at the cost of being harder to physically install.

Collapse -
I don't understand
by qlturka / September 28, 2014 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: So why not add one?

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. I don't need a modem or anything I just want to be able to recieve the wireless Internet from my modem device. And I know I have a network card physically inside my computer because I've used it before. The problem occured after the system reinstallation I was forced to make. I think that somehow the card's software has not be installed and now I must install it manually.

Yes, I want to add one very much :). I just don't know how.

Thank you for your answer.

Collapse -
Re: nertwork card
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't understand

I you can use Internet via a wired connection, you do have a 'network card' inside your computer, although the last 10 years it tends to be integrated on the motherboard, not a separate card.

If you're sure there is wireless card also inside your computer, just install the driver. That's the basic thing to do with cards and other devices. Since we don't know the specs and contents of your machine, we can't tell you what card it is and what driver it needs for your current OS. You're on your own.

If you can't find that driver, do as Jimmy said: buy a Wireless PCI card or a USB Wifi receiver.

By the way, I only see people "forced to reinstall" if they don't have an adequate backup (I wonder why they don't) or have to replace the motherboard because it broke. Then - if they feel not sure about their abilities to install Windows and all that comes with it - they simply buy a new PC.
Yes, backing up saves time and money.

Kees

Collapse -
Problem solved!
by qlturka / September 28, 2014 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: nertwork card

Problem solved! Aparently all I needed to know was the type of my wireless card and when I learned that it was easy to just download drivers from producent's website.

Well, actually in the proccess of figuring out my problem I had to restore my system from backup files. The backup was very old though, so I ended up with Vista. With Vista installed the wireless card was working fine and I learned which driver to install. I went back to Win 7, installed the driver and everything works :). So it was a very weird way to gather the informations, and I didn't really plan it, but it turned out just fine :d.

You're absolutely right about backup, I'm creating one right now. The backup creator not working was simply an other problem of mine with this computer and I was too lazy to fix it.

Thank you very much for your posts, kind people, and I hope that you didn't suffer too much from my English (which isn't my native language) ;).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?