Peripherals forum

General discussion

Problem with TFT Monitor

by frank322 / September 17, 2004 10:06 PM PDT

Hi,

i just bought a Samsung SyncMaster 710N. Everything with this monitor is quite satisfieing to me, but there is a big problem:

It seems like Windows 2000 (SP4 actually) has a big problem displaying things right through this monitor. I actually can not really believe that it is the monitor's problem, because i tested it for 45 minutes in the shop before buying it, but that was with a Windows XP machine.

It is hard to explain what it looks like, for me mostly like low color quality. I made a shot of an icon to show you what i mean, but i can not assure that what you see will be the same as what i see: http://www.spirit-within.net/ee/icon.jpg

When i looked at an icon before installing this monitor, it has not looked like a cheap gif,.. it looked like a normal high quality icon. Now this icon i have taken a shot of, shows a lot of single pixels, it looks raw, it does simply not look like it should.

I installed the Samsung Monitor driver, i have reset the colors, i have auto adjusted several times, i have switched to other resolutions (this TFT's optimum is 1280x1024) and switched back again of course - no change at all. Some pictures look really bad. Not like usual TFT quality, they look a bit pixelated). I launched Unreal I and had a look at the Direct3D performance, same there, strange pixelated graphics and partly unluminated surfaces...

I am really out of ideas, solutions or whatever. I noticed this problem at a friend's place too, quite the same TFT (some older Samsung) and Windows 2000. Please do not suggest me to upgrade to XP, i will not do this. I am running 2000 on a notebook at work and everything is fine, i know it is possible - so please - if you bring ideas, let them be solutions, because there must be one.

Thank you for reading and for any suggestions, ideas, solutions.

Cheers,
Leo

(ps.: You can also find information on this thread here: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21135471.html)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with TFT Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with TFT Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Problem with TFT Monitor
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 11:35 PM PDT

Windows 2000 will install some drivers on initial install but Windows Update will not install drivers... unless you configured it to do so. My initial question would be "What color depth are you using? They should look good if you are using 16-bit or 32-bit color. It sounds like you are using 8." but...

You may need to fish around for the "Show Icons using all possible colors" setting. I'm not on the 2000 box so I leave this for you to find. Maybe TWEAKUI could help with that or it's ICON REBUILD tool.

As to drivers, I may have missed what video card you have, but as always, try the latest.

As to Windows Update, I suggest you set it to not do drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
"It's the Video Card Driver"
by nworley / September 19, 2004 5:57 AM PDT

I have a 2000 installation running with a IBM TFT monitor and a 4500 3dfx. Finding drivers for the 2000 installation was difficult as the card is out of support. I have WXP drivers built into the Win XP installation. but not the 2000 installation. I found some third party drivers that worked fairly well.

Collapse -
Surprised
by Dib / February 12, 2005 5:55 AM PST

I installed driver software on a Win 98 platforn and did not have a problem. Pictures/images were very clean.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!