Question

Problem with system backup

My computer says I have no system backup. I proceded to do a backup but decided to use CD's. About a third of the way into the backup, I found that it would probably take 50 or more CD's! I stopped the backup.
Now I want to do a backup using drive E. However, when I go into backup, IT WILL NOT LET ME GET OUT OF THE CD BACKUP. What do I do?
thanks matt

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problem with system backup
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem with system backup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
We would really like to ...

try to help you with this but without knowing WHAT your OS and its VERSION is and what backup application you are using it is rather difficult to do.

- Collapse -
(NT) I'm, using Windows 7.0 home premium
- Collapse -
(NT) And Windows backup?
- Collapse -
ASSUMING that you ...
- Collapse -
Option 2 ASSUMING you ...

are using Windows Backup and Restore, you can ABORT a started backup as follows:

in the windows start bar, type "backup" in the search area, open "Backup and Restore" and in the new window you'll have a button that will allow you to cancel the backup, this is also where you can adjust the backup options

- Collapse -
won't abort

It says backup cancelled, but does not abort - still stays in cd backup mode

- Collapse -
So now that you got it aborted ...

did you follow the steps to change the settings from that initial link I gave you?

This link says the same things but offers a few additional clarifications such as possibly if things are really stuck you might try disconnecting the CD or DVD drive before the backup to force Windows to ask for more input.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-or-change-automatic-backup-settings

I think though that you are just missing the CHANGE SETTINGS

- Collapse -
still stuck

I tried everything and it's still stuck in CD backup. I cannot tear into the computer to disconnect the cd because I don't think I have the expertise.

- Collapse -
Then you have to continue.

If you use CD-RW you might be able to use the same disk over and over again. But just as well, the backup program checks it and ask you put in another disk. You only know when you try.

One other thing to try: make a new admin account and log in there. Does the backup continue?

Kees

- Collapse -
doubtful it will work

I don't know how to make another admin account - my son-in-law made the present one. How would that solve the problem? I'll have to look for a RW cd, but won't the computer know it's the same cd?

- Collapse -
Re: admin account and CD

You make an admin account in Control Panel>User account. Couldn't be easier.
https://www.google.com/search?q=xp+create+account shows for Windows XP,but it's in essence the same for Vista and 7.

If you format that CD RW on another PC after writing it, it surely won't be recognised/

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Re : cancel backup

What happens if you shut down and start up again. Chances are the backup program forgets what it was doing.

Kees

- Collapse -
no effect

Shutting down has no effect - it does not forget.

CNET Forums